Mentors

mpagnan

Hello everyone,

This is my first year tackling the whole trout/steehead/salmon style of fishing. I was wondering what's the best way to learn from the more experienced anglers of this sort? Is there anyone out there willing to help me out in terms of hands-on experience? I might add that I'm not new to fishing and I have done my research in regards to gear and techniques but I'm just having a hard time putting it all together.

Thanks again,

MJP

Most guys you meet on the river would be more then happy to lend you a hand and offer up some advice. SEARCH this forum, it contains a wealth of information...

What are you having trouble with? Are you planning on using a spinning setup? Centrepin? etc?

Hi,

Oh, I've done much research here on this forum as well as other locations. I have a spinning outfit and a float/drift outfit. I think my problem lies in proper location and water reading. I just need to watch and learn from seasoned veterans.

catching spring dropbacks isnt an art, they are hungry!

The most important part is finding water that is a) fishable and B) holding fish. Runs tend to go in and out of certain rivers faster then others.

A good starting point is finding a run into a deeper pool. Dropbacks will hold in deeper pools, feed and wait for the right time to head out.

when you work the pool start on the inside (closest to you) and work your drifts toward the other side of the river. This allows you to cover the pool instead of just randomly casting away.

Try whole dewy's hooked in the middle, you cant go wrong.

tightlines

Ryan

sometimes you just have to get out there more often, watch what other people do and what they're using, especially if they're the ones who's catching. Most anglers I find are quite friendly and wouldn't mind sharing a tip or two with you if you approach them nicely.

I learned by asking since I was by my dads side at the age of 7 and still to this day.

Putting time on the water is the ONLY way to learn steelheading. The internet is mechanical, river time is magical. I fished beside two of the best bug boys in all the east tribs for two years (litterally hundreds of hours together) until I had earned the privillage see inside the bug boxes and start talking real shop....You see these guys around. dead of winter, 20 guys in a slow pool and one guy is hammering fish. That's kinda club I want into bro........now I spend 50% fishing artificials. This time of year, closer to 100%.....p.s. I still love chinny scrape!

Most guys will help you out if you ask but there are some who won't warm up to you right away. Observation is everything. Try walking the creek through the week without a rod. I find I will tell a guy (without a fishing rod) on the river anything but if a guy strolls up all decked out like a pro ? I get real quite all of a sudden.

Look me up if the fall.

RR

Thanks for the tips everyone,

I have done the majority of items mentioned besides asking straight up for help. It's the water that's feaking me out...knowing where and when. I usually stick around 16 mile creek by Milton because it's nice and close and it allows me to go out quite frequently and fish/observe. But maybe that's my issue...there's no fish there. Is it pretty much a given for a pool to hold fish? Besides shinners and chubs...I catch them far too much.