kicker fuel system

rob v

I got my hands on a 7.5 horse honda that I plan to use as my kicker for trolling Erie for walley this summer. Since it's a four stroke I don't need to mix fuel and I would like to splice into the main fuel system of my boat. I was hoping to spice into the main fuel line with some type of quick connect system - but I'm not sure of what I need. Anyone have any suggestions / info on this process ? Obviously I need to splice a tee joint into the main line - but from there I'm kind lost. thx.

You can use a standard "T" but some marine mechanics recomend you use a splitter type valve that you turn to your main or kicker depending on what you are running. The main reason is that it is possible when using a "T" and running one motor to create a vacuum in the other motors fuel line resulting in a vapor lock. i know several people that did not use the valve and have not had any problem but when I did mine I aired on the side of caution. I don't want to be in the middle of the lake and not be able to start the main motor. By the way I bought all I needed at Bass Pro.

Rob, we just did the same thing on my brothers boat. Splice into the main line with a T and then you can either use the fuel line you have now which may be attached to a small tank or buy another one. You will have to cut the connection off the end which goes to the small tank and then install the hose onto the T by using two clamps (second one is for backup). Should be good to go. You can take the kicker off the boat using the quick connect at the motor and leaving the line attached to the boat.

Cheers

Tom.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into the valve you're talking about taper - never heard of the vaput lock problem before. I was also hoping to have some type of quick connect linkage close to the t or valve so I don't have all that extra hose laying around - any idea what type or where I can get one ?

Rob,

I did like Polliwog suggests. I added the kicker line onto the outlet from the water seperator filter. I was like you, looking for the best/easiest way when someone suggested putting in the water filter. I did not have to get any other fitting. Works great!!

I did put a quick connect on the kicker hose so no dirtbag can steal it while at the dock...I just take the kicker hose with me, as not too many thieves will bring an extra gas line!

FT

here is a write up on a kicker install. You can skip the steps that don't relate to you

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference...haT8Kicker.html

and here is a picture of a fuel water separator. Don't forget you will also need a filter that looks like a Oil filter to screw underneath this unit

8656.jpg

you can see 2 arrows pointing in that will be where you hook up your fuel line from the tank, the other arrow will be blocked off. The arrows pointing out will be going to your main and kicker engine.

Edited by Henry Nguyen