kayaking with my daughter

jediangler

After spending the day at Guelph lake alone yesterday, I decided to take my 8yr old daughter again today.

2ontop.jpg

Had to be a little creative to get both kayaks on top of the car for the 45km trip to Guelph. Looks funny but was stable up to 80km/h.

speedy.jpg

Once she got in the water I had a hard time keeping up to her.

treeyak.jpg

She enjoyed weaving through and under the tree trunks.

fishin2.jpg

She has had several hours of kayaking, but has never tried to fish out of one before. Like all of us, she had trouble controlling the yak while casting.

creekyak.jpg

We decided to keep going farther up the creek until it was less than 2ft deep. Then we parked the yaks and she began fishing from shore.

sucker.jpg

After 20 minutes she managed to hook and land this sucker, but would not hold it up for a picture. We started the trip at 10:30am and fished for 2 hours before calling it a day. We knew that thunderstorms were in the forcast for the afternoon and wanted none of that. Great day out with my new kayak fishing buddy. I didn't even make a cast but didn't mind a bit.

Good thing it is recreational otherwise the MTO woulda gotcha! :lol: That is a very nice area, good on you for taking her out.

AS to not making a cast, when fishing with children, you are not fishing, you're instructing, and vicariously getting the pleasure of fishing.

She's a natural and very comfortable in a yak. It's only a matter of time before she really outfishes the old man...lol. Glad to hear yas had a good day. WTG gurl, hey bro we need to get her a pink fishergirl hat like her aunt wears. In no time she will be gracing the pages of our fav fishing mags. B)