Opener

bigugli

Like most of us, I awaited, with eager anticipation, the trout opener.The small sucker and trout stream had cleared and I knew the trout were still in the one pool.

Here in Niagara it was a beautiful spring morning. The sun was shining. The first of the woodland blooms were coming out.

DSCN2426.jpg

I quietly sneak up to the edge of the pool and there, on the edge, were 2 suckers and a small bow stuck in a mess of grape meshing. So out we wade, scissors in hand, to cut open the net and free the fish. With a little work, all three swam away O.K. So much for my chances at the pool. I had spooked everything else, and they were now hiding under a log jam. :angry:

DSCN2427.jpg

My plan B was the mouth of Jordan harbour, but the place was crammed with trucks, trailers and boats. Derby time :angry:

Now we are on to plan 'C'. Charles Daley to fish the pond. The recent storms have given the beach a real pounding. So one is either walking the surf or pushing through the scrub. Debris everywhere.

DSCN2429.jpg

DSCN2430-1.jpg

I'm there all of 10 minutes and I have a cat on.

DSCN2428.jpg

I 'm figuring the day isn't going to be so bad after all. 20 minutes later. "Bang" The drag starts screaming and you can see the fish's wake. I've only got 6lb mono so its a good 20 minutes to work thig pig in.

DSCN2431-1.jpg

This carp is 32" long. The arm holding the tape is a local Scout who was doing a shorline cleanup when I hooked the fish. Him and his bud did the honors of netting the beast, thereby doing their good turn for the day. I can't post their pic because I don't have a Scouts Canada release. Afte rthat it was kitties all day long. All 1-3 lbs.

DSCN2433.jpg

DSCN2434-2.jpg

A great end result for the day despite the sunburn.

Congrats Bruce on freeing those fish even though it meant loosing you chance at the fishing :worthy: and you got to release a trout in the process ;)

Have you noticed how often lately that Plan C seems to be the productive one :)

Great job on the cats and the carp for Team 3 :thumbsup_anim:

Wait until Dawg see's this post :w00t:

Congrats Bruce on freeing those fish even though it meant loosing you chance at the fishing :worthy: and you got to release a trout in the process ;)

Wait until Dawg see's this post :w00t:

Somebody should send him a banana :P

I was pretty bummed about the creek. The nets are quite long. They are used to keep starlings off the ice grapes. They dig into the flesh rather quickly

Edited by bigugli

Your Karma for releasing the imprisoned fish paid off Bruce!!!.. in a very big way eh!

That's an excellent Carp!!! :thumbsup_anim: ... especially for 6 lb. test!!! :clapping:

Those are nice Channel Cats and Bullheads too!!!

Just be glad the debris was on shore and not in the water!