Quick question on changing outboard oil

Victor

Hey guys,

This is my first spring of owning a boat and I need to change the oil as a regular maintenance thing ... I got a bottle of marine oil from CTC, that looks like this

Marine gear oil

I have watched numerous videos/read articles online to teach myself how to do it, however, they all use an oil pump or something like that. With the design of this bottle, do i still need to buy a pump? I would buy one but I only know princess autos sells them and their closest location to me is still quite far/out of the way. Is there anywhere else I can buy one?

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all who's planning to head out on the opener.

Victor

The pump can't be used on all motors. The pump actually screws in. My 50hp can be filled with the pump. My 9.9hp uses what you bought. Basically drain the fluid, once drained put the nozzle of the oil tight to the bottom hole, and squeeze till the oil come out of the top screw. Oh, ya don't remove the top screw, just loosen it. When the oil comes out the to screw, tighten the screw, and replace the bottom screw. This is how I do it every year.

Yes Victor you can fill your lower unit using that bottle however it will be a little messier and you might lose some to the driveway so put something under the lower unit as you fill.The pumps are nice though cause they thread right into the lower vent and you lose less fluid. They cost next to nothing and are worth it. It's always handy to have a couple of new O-rings handy when you change that oil too.

Agree with all above. I've got a couple of pumps, one for each outboard, as the fittings are different. The second pump I got came with a couple of fittings for different threads. Picked it up at Princess Auto a couple of years ago for less then $10. CT might have them as well. There's a marina (at least there use to be) on Woodbine just north of hwy 7 on the east side. I would think they would have them for sure if you are thinking of using a pump. The other thing to keep in mind is to change the oil in the fall before storing it. That way you'll know the state of the lower unit and if moisture is getting in (oil will be milky). If all is good then she'll be ready to go come the spring. :Gonefishing:

An easy method to use the pump for those where the supplied fitting will not screw into the lower unit. Find one of those little plastic tips that either screws on or snaps over a tube of silicone glue or glue bottles, cut just enough off the tip to get it into the threaded fill hole, stuff the end of the pump fitting in the larger end, presto, one size fits all. Drain the lower oil, replace the screw loosely, pump til the oil comes out the top screw, tighten the top screw, remove and quickly replace the lower screw.