Fly Tying Materials (wolly bugger)

young_one

I recently picked up fly tying and have master the rabbit fur jig, and I plan to move on to bead head wolly buggers.

For the BH wolly bugger, theres quite a few more material needed. Marabou, hackel, chenille, bead, (optional wire rib, lead wire)

I live in Richmond Hill, I am aware of Angling Specialties, LeBaron and Basspro. Out of the three, which has the best quality/price? (I try to support Canadian companies)

Are there other stores Im not aware of?

In the long run, when I plan to tie a lot more flies, should I look for a internet stores? Recommendation?

Thanks for all your input, Im just trying to expand my hobbie. Cant wait to fool a fish with my own creation. :rolleyes:

Dont over look the arts and crafts stores ...like "micheals" and whatever "white rose" turned into ...you cant beat the prices on peacock herl, chenille etc.....but dont tell them you use it for fishing or they will jack the prices up once they are hip to the trip...good luck....

Tom at Angling Specialties has a nice assortment of stuff.

Got to go with bill on this one.

The store in Mississauga has a wall just for fly tying

When it comes to price i have no clue since i don't fly fish but would love to give it a go some day.

Good luck with the fly tying

Can’t help you much with the price/quality aspect other than I get 85% of my stuff from AngSpec and the other 15% of my stuff from Wilson’s. I live 3min away from AngSpec in Scarborough and I used to go to school down the street from Wilson’s.

From what I can tell, most places sell the same brands and/or product quality at similar prices – AngSpec’s prices are fairly good (if not slightly better) compared to others if you’re strictly looking at local shops. Like Twocoda mentioned, you can probably find the same materials for cheap in an arts and craft store – It would obviously be less convenient than in a fly shop but there’s still some savings to be had.

Woolly buggers are a fly that gets you into trouble if you’re on a budget…They’re so effective in different colours and it’s a fly that presents countless opportunities to experiment with different types of materials and patterns.

After 10yrs of experimenting and hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars spent in “R&D” costs, I have come up with a TOP SECRET, super woolly bugger pattern which uses materials so exotic I can’t even remember what animals they came from.LOL

You will find that most of the materials - no matter where you are buying them - come from the same suppliers. Definitly check out craft stores: coloured wire for ribbing, chenille, beads, sometimes marabou are all cheaper at craft stores than at fishing stores. If they sell it, craft hair is a great substitute for marabou.

lebarons have very little fly tieing materials, the best i found was at angling specialties, more choices and paterns than bass pro.

you can't really tell the quality of wich is better, and price wise, its maybe be a dime or so difference cause most of the small stuff is between $1.50-4.50, the hackle is expensive but it will last you along time.