Gowganda/Gogama/Shining Tree

express168

Now I posted a few days ago about tenting with my 7 year old son, now my wife last night suggested that I take him up with me to the Gogama/Gowganda/Shining Tree area with me as she knows I have always wanted to fish that area and that she would not be very interested in going there but he would likely love the wilderness and remoteness of the area(he loves wildlife and animals). My question is to those who have fished the areas before is , would there be enough action for a kid drifting a worm harness or minnow to keep them interested or excited or would I be wasting my time. I know I would have enough to keep me interested but this trip is about HIM and ME together not just me. Experience and opinions are welcomed and thank you for any info. P.S. I would be getting a cabin in this area rather than tenting.

It does not take much for a 7 year old to get bored. One hour is a very long time for a boy that age. I'd be very content with a fish every 20-30 minutes. That is a looonnng time for a young lad. You need to be somewhere to put in a few "Plan B" options to keep him busy, interested, and wear him out.

I think it depends on where you go.

Now, I have yet to fish up in the area you are asking about (I considered Gowganda this year but decided on a different spot), but most of the lodges I looked into were more fishing centric and I am not sure if there are a lot of panfish. I am pretty sure some of the lakes up there hold Perch though. That being said, some of the lakes supposedly offer up oodles of smallmouth and walleye, so a 100+ fish day is possible. You can also trek (portage, walk, ATV) to a different lake every day at several of the lodges. That might be a good experience for him. A lot of the lodges have canoes and hiking trails too.

To be honest, it would really depend on what your son is like. You would know that best. Every kid is different. I was shocked when I took my 5 yo daughter fishing on a boat the first time and she fished for 8 hours with me!! Of course, the next few times it was at most 1 hour =). I think part of it was that I had rented a pontoon boat that one time. A lot of room on those and they can do other things if they want I suppose. Anyway, if it was just my daughter and I, I doubt I'd be on the water much and would probably be better off fishing from the dock - but would most likely be staring at a swimming pool all day.

For me, when I do take my daughter (and wife) to a cottage it is typically a place like Rice Lake in the Kawarthas. It isn't overly busy, has a relatively remote feel to it and holds tons of panfish and bass. I also really like the resorts that offer a childrens program to keep them occupied for a few hours every day [read as: you can go fishing] (and they get to meet all the other kids at the resort).

Best of luck!

He is very outdoors oriented, loves hiking trails with me and up until I sold my boat last year would sit in the boat with me for hours (like any boy his age he is just happy to be with dad). It was a pretty comfortable boat though. I was thinking of a pontoon boat on Rice Lake as well because of the room and comfort. I am just concerned about whether there was plenty of smaller walleye/bass/pike that would keep him busy on the lakes in the Gogama area. We would just fish the main lake at one of the lodges, I don't know about doing a back lake he may enjoy the trip in but if he got bored early on the lake it may be hell heading back. Thanks for the input guys and either way I am going to have a good few days with my boy.

Edited by express168

Fishing with my Dad is one of my most fonds moments. We fished Shinging Tree last year and loved the area. We are going back the last week of Sept. The cabins are great and they have cable TV. Prices are the best and include your bait, boats, motors and all your gas. Bay Wolf Camp, Allen and Wendy are the nicest people.

Its a drive to and all on good roads.

Doug

Thanks for the info and the PM's guys, I was able to arange a cabin for Sat June 27 to Tue June 30 at Klondike Lodge on Lake Mesomikenda (Beaver Lake)I believe it is called. My son will be so excited, I haven't told him that I booked it yet it is the Saturday immediately following the Friday that they get out of school. I have been waiting for the oppurtunity to do this first father/son bonding trip, notice I didn't say fishing trip. Fishing will be a big part of it, but it is more about solidifying our relashionship as father and son. Once again thanks for your input and if anyone is familiar with this lodge and lake I would love to hear from you.