Carp Regs...

rock34

Hey gang,

was reviewing the regs this morning preparing for fishing season and making sure I know everything that I need to. When doing so I realized that Carp are not included anywhere. Are there any regs for Carp? or can you just fish them anywhere, anytime?

I have not fished for Carp since I was a kid so I have n clue, just an observation.

Cheers!

I always thought that bow hunting element pretty odd. Does the general prohibition making it illegal to "abandon fish or permiting flesh to spoil" still apply or does that apply to game fish only? You'd think you'd catch your limit pretty quick if you had to either eat all that carp or have it mounted.

I think I will post this email after all. Enjoy

Hi Daniel,

We do recognize the increasing popularity of carp fishing and the economic benefits it presently generates and the potential it has in the near future. Under the Ontario Fishery Regulations

(http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showtdm/cr/SOR-2007-237) there is a list of fish species for which the regulations apply, in addition to a list of baitfish. The common carp is present in the same list of fish species as the most popular "sport" fish such as walleye and lake trout and therefore is not considered a coarse fish under the regulations. In addition, carp are listed in the Ministry of the Environment's Guide to Eating Ontario Sport Fish for lakes where this species is present (http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/guide/).

The annual fishing summary is a plain language translation of the Ontario Fishery Regulations. Where fisheries management requires seasons and limits to insure sustainability of a species or to properly manage fishing opportunity, species are listed in a species table in the summary. Given that presently there is no sustainability issue with carp populations in Ontario, we do not feel the need to list them in the species tables; however, we do manage non-angling methods of carp fishing opportunities with seasons, the same as lake whitefish and lake

herring.

Through the promotion of angling opportunities and organizations like yours, public education is the best tool to profile the common carp and its fishery.

Sorry, once again, for the delay in responding to your request.

I trust this answers your questions.

Jason Borwick, M.Sc.

Management Biologist,

Aurora District

Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources

50 Bloomington Rd. W.

Aurora, ON

L4G 3G8

Tel: 905-713-7404

Fax: 905-713-7361

E-mail: [email protected]