Zone 17

kemper

Lookin at the regs today because I was hoping to get out and catch some crappies, but it looks like I cant get a crappie in my zone until the last sat in April...

Has this always been in place or is it new?

I dont do alot of lake fishing (read NONE) until may usually, so I was never aware of this.

Good thing I checked

Gives them time to spawn, its a good thing really.

I dont disagree with it at all, I was just thinking that it was a newer thing.

I suppose it also aids in keeping the loogans off the ice at scugog until the very last second.

I think that Crappie come shallow after ice-out to feed-up and get ready to spawn. They then move out of the shallows and stage, around the first break line, until the water reaches about 55 or 60 degrees and the moon phase etc. are right. That triggers them to move back shallow and spawn...Either way if they are in the shallows on the 25th I will be happy...grin.

Gives them time to spawn, its a good thing really.

Actually the spawning period for Crappies doesn't start until the water temps reach mid 60's, well after opener. It would be nice to have the chance to fish for them much sooner than the 4th Saturday in April. Unfortunately I have to drive for at least an hour and a half before I can fish for Pan fish this time of year. The sad part is I live about 10 minutes away from Rice Lake. Hardly seems fair that FMZ 17 is the only place where you can't ice fish other than Algonquin Park in Ontario.

Edited by Ron

Hardly seems fair that FMZ 17 is the only place where you can't ice fish other than Algonquin Park in Ontario.

I agree that it sucks big time that we can't ice fish, but at the same time I'm thankful!

If there were ice fishing on the Kawartha's, the fishery would be HORRIBLE come the soft water season.

A LOT of "fishermen" around the Kawartha's seem to ignore possession limits, so it would KILL the fishery.