High Water Levels in the Kawarthas

Kawartha Kev

I have a cottage on Lower Buckhorn in the Kawartha's and have not been up yet to open but have been watching a webcam from Reach Harbour Resort and seen very high water levels has anyone been up to the area. Here is a link to the webcam check it out the docks are under water and over the cement which is normally a foot above the lake level check it out Lower Buckhorn Webcam

Kawartha Kev

They're high, but nothing like last year. Its normal for this time of year, nothing to worry about. Most of the snow is gone in the watershed anyways. I'd say they're on the receding end of the spring melt.

Sinker

I was really surprised how calm the lock/dam was when I crossed the trent on Landsdowne last Monday. It's usually torential in there in the spring. Pretty calm compared to what I've witnessed over the last 4 decades + pouring thru Peterborough.

I was really surprised how calm the lock/dam was when I crossed the trent on Landsdowne last Monday. It's usually torential in there in the spring. Pretty calm compared to what I've witnessed over the last 4 decades + pouring thru Peterborough.

Yep, this has been one of the tamest springs I can remember......so far anyways.

I think the water is only that high, because they're holding it back at the locks.

Sinker

They're high, but nothing like last year. Its normal for this time of year, nothing to worry about. Most of the snow is gone in the watershed anyways. I'd say they're on the receding end of the spring melt.

Sinker

I have to disagree, as far as the tri-lakes goes anyways.

I've lived here since '96 and this may be the highest level I've seen.

A nice summer day (note the heron)...

gallery_273_73_44940.jpg

Taken about a few minutes ago (the dock is actually floating about 1" over it's blocks)...

gallery_273_73_4538.jpg

I was in the water Wed evening to move another piece of dock to keep it from floating away and where normally the water is not even knee deep, it was four inches from flooding my chest waders.

Edited by Jer

According to Dave Ness (Trent Severn Waterway Engineer) There was a lot of water in the snow pack in the Haliburton Highlands this winter. That all has to come thru the Trent. Yes they have been holding the flow back in the Tri Lakes, in order to try and prevent major flooding in the Ottonnabee River and Rice Lake. I heard on the news to-day that the water MAY have reached it's crest and should be receding slowly this week.

My dock is floating also as of Tuesday. Had to throw an anchor on the ramp to the dock before it floated away. Hope it all lands back on the piers when the levels drop off.

Tom.