Saltys, Line, and Fleas in Lake Ontario

Sharkbait22

Anyone know where I can find S-17 Salty rod holders and a 12-17” mounting plate? Prefer a Canadian location.

For those that troll Lake Ontario, have you ever tried single strand steel wire? I use it for inland lakers and Gbay salmon, like the sensitivity and have not needed a twill. Have you ever tried putting a Dipsy off single strand steel wire? I’m having decision issues around fleas and choosing the right line (e.g., flea flicker, braid, wire (single and multi-strand). I was thinking of riggers but will see how this year goes on the lake. Is there a spiny flea season? Maybe I can just avoid them.

Thanks for any help. LK ON newbee

jbs on ronson dr in etobicoke as well as grimsby tackle probably have the salties

nothing says you can't use single strand but i see seven strand is preferred by open water trollers.. it is more flexible and forgiving if kinked. there's probably other reasons too

we use single strand on the bay because we're banging shoals & seven strand will not take the abuse of rocks kindly.

Edited by Raf

I'll be running a 19 strand 30lb wire this year... it's very forgiving for kinks.

I have six S-17's and I love them but they're hard to find! I had mounting plates made for them to fit my Bert's tracks. They will also fit Traxstech and the new Cannon tracks.

If you want info on the mounting plates, shoot me a PM.

DSC00856.jpg