tiller guys I have a question

GeorgeJ

Yep ... when I am driving (almost always) ... my rod holder is the one on the port stern side and I am normally sitting sidways (facing the port) ... of course I am watching where I am going but it would be literally looking over my shoulder to see the set up on the starboard side... so I have mounted mine (which is very simliar to yours) .. Humminbird 565 and H20C on a 10" X 14" piece of plywood that can literally sit on the bench across from me ... and can be moved to the floor for higher speed.

Yep, prop rotation is the main reason. That and prob something that dates back to ancient mariner times. You will notice that all tillers, consoles and even large cruisers are rigged this way...that is except for centre consoles.

reason why

Not is simply not right. The tiller was placed on the port side of the outboard well before motors were powerful enough for prop rotation to cause a problem. It also has nothing to do with the gearshift. Outboards have had the tiller on the port side since the dawn of outboards over 100 years ago. The gearshift has only been around for 60 years. They didn't put the tiller on the port side thinking "someday we'll have a gearshift on the starboard side." As I said before, it is because early outboards needed so much adjusting while underway that the operator needed their "good" (right) hand to make the adjustments.

It is commonly excepted that controls are placed on the starboard side due to prop rotation, but that is also a function of the industry standardizing itself and the increased power of outboards since the 1950's. Prior to the 1960's you could expect to find the steering and controls in any location - port, starboard, center, fore or aft.

Prior to the 1960's you could expect to find the steering and controls in any location - port, starboard, center, fore or aft.

Your 100% correct boatman.

I've posted this picture before but it illustrates exactly what your talking about.

This is my dad in his 15' cedarstrip about 1955 and not only is the steering wheel on the port side, it was also located in the back seat of the boat which was quite common back then.

The motor was a 25 HP Johnson Seahorse ....that was actually green but came out brown when the picture was colored....but you can see the controls were actually 2 different levers.

One was for F-N-R and the other was the throttle.

You can also see the pully on the bottom of the steering shaft and the steel clothes line wire that connected it to the motor.

Gotta luv the good ole days :thumbsup_anim:

Cnv1206.jpg

Edited by lew

thanks for posting that pic agin lew

My last boat ( 4 years ago ) an old Springbok had that cable steering as well . if someone turned the motor by hand ( esp on the trailer) the cable would come of the spool below the steering wheel :o

Was never really ' at ease' in that boat :lol:

TB

Edited by tinbanger

That is a great picture, Lew. And your dad was a lucky man. That motor is a 1951 Johnson 25 hp. First year for that motor. It was light years ahead of everything produced before it and the largest hp outboard you could buy from OMC at the time. He would have had a hot rod.

Right on brother... Looks like a sweet setup to me! I mostly fish from the bow of my boat, so I use the graph up front for fishing, and the one at the back is pretty much only for getting from spot to spot. Just an FYI I wasn't purposely trying to sound sarcastic. ;)

Cheers,

UF

Ps. Nice hookset! :thumbsup_anim:

No worries Urban. I just wanted to clarify what I was saying.

Lew - cool pic, I remember seeing it before.