Recommendations on Swing Tongue

fishinggeek

Hi Fishinggeek,

I modified my trailer myself using the fold away hinge kit I bought from this supplier in Milton:

Cerka - Supplier of Fulton Fold Away Hinge Kit

Installation Instructions

You'll see that you can either purchase the entire coupler or just the hinge as I did.

After removing the electrical wiring, I cut off the tongue with a sawsall, drilled the holes, installed and torqued it with little effort. I then painted it with Tremclad to match the trailer

I think it cost about $100.00 including delivery. Make sure you order the correct channel size.

Cheers,

Peter

Hate to bump. In fact, I don't think I've ever bumped so let me apologize in advance. But I really need this installed before the season. Any ideas? DIY is awesome, and trust me I would, but I wouldn't know where to start. First thing to do is cut through the metal, and I don't even own a saw, jack stand, torque wrench, etc. that are required to DIY.

and I don't even own a saw, jack stand, torque wrench, etc. that are required to DIY.

You can rent the saw for a few $$$$, build a stand with some scrap 2 x 4, and a torque shouldn't be needed. It's a lot simpler job than you think unless you want it welded.

Just a thought ;)

Edited by lew

Princecraft and Toronto. I'm seriously considering trying it. What's the worst thing I could do? If I cut off the tongue, can't move the boat anywhere to get it fixed so I'm worried about that. I'm all for doing things myself but I really haven't done anything like this before.

Perodimi, Cerka's website's a bit confusing. They're pretty close so can I pick it up or do I have to get it shipped? I emailed them and they just referred me back to the website.

If its not too far of a drive for you I highly recommend Soldiers Bay Marine @ Holland Landing (just north of New Market) 905-953-0193

call first and speak to Paul, give him your trailer Model # etc, see if he'll do it, really worth it and not much more money then you buying all the parts and aggravation, specially if you're not handy with tools etc.