Best Pike/walleye Setup

FishinGreg24

Hello all!! Im a new member and never been pike fishing before, I will be going in july to a lake called little Guoin from Caesars Lodge. (hopefully we made the right choice!!)

I was looking to buy a new rod and reel set for the trip. Looking for your opinions on the best gear to get and if i should get two separate setups one for pike and one for walleye? or if I can just get one rod and reel for both species. also the best line to get thanks for any advice

What type of tackle do you have now? Can you use and are you comfortable with a bait caster? Best set up is going to get you opinions and prices that can make a trip very expensive if you don`t use the tackle much.

You can fish for pike and walleye with one outfit, but I never go any where with just one outfit.

Last year I was in a place fishing for big pike and big walleye. By day two my heavier pike spinning rod had a broken tip and, my baitcasting reel for my other set-up broke as well. Not due to fish.

I was left with an old Bob Izumi 6.6' medium spinning rod (rated 8-15lb line) I threw a 4000 series Shimano reel on that rod (it had been on the rod with the broken tip) and fished that outfit all week. You wouldn't believe how well it performed handling a number of 40' pike and many big walleye in the 5-9lb range.

So... a good medium spinning rod of 6 1/2 to 7 foot with a quality 2500-4000 series reel spooled with 20-30lb test superbraid such as PowerPro... that's a single outfit that will handle your big pike and allow you a little enjoyment with smaller walleye.

Last year I was in a place fishing for big pike and big walleye. By day two my heavier pike spinning rod had a broken tip and, my baitcasting reel for my other set-up broke as well. Not due to fish.

I was left with an old Bob Izumi 6.6' medium spinning rod (rated 8-15lb line) I threw a 4000 series Shimano reel on that rod (it had been on the rod with the broken tip) and fished that outfit all week. You wouldn't believe how well it performed handling a number of 40' pike and many big walleye in the 5-9lb range.

So... a good medium spinning rod of 6 1/2 to 7 foot with a quality 2500-4000 series reel spooled with 20-30lb test superbraid such as PowerPro... that's a single outfit that will handle your big pike and allow you a little enjoyment with smaller walleye.

Holy Crap!! You cauught a 40 foot pike?!?!?!!!!!

JK

Sometimes you just have to the best with what you got and simler can at times be better. I go out sometimes in my 12' tinner and take 3 rods with me. My fishing buddy does the same and now we have 6 rods in a little boat. Not good.

7' medium action rod with 12 pound line and a good quality spinning reel. Go for it.

What size pike? If its just smaller or medium sized pike a 6'6" medium heavy rod should do. If you're just chucking lures then I'd use a baitcasting reel. If you're using a baitcaster then i'd just use 14-20 lb mono.

thanks guys for replying!!

this is my first fishing trip to canada and first time fishing for pike, so i really have no clue what im in for!! I have about 10 rods but most are light action spinning reels for bass , I do have a couple medium and medium heavy rods so i probally just need baitcaster or a bigger spinning reel.

Sounds like we are throwing lures, drifting and trolling, i was planiing on bringing 4-5 rods with me just in case one breaks.

I figured i get a lot of opinions but there has to be some middle ground on what to get maybe???