Ice Out Canoeing..

Guest Michel (Mike) Soucy

Hi Everyone,

Just joined the OFC this morning and am wondering, how many canoeing enthusiasts are out there and how early would you take to the water being mindful that it would still be fairly cold water? (capsize dangers)

I enjoy fishing from my canoe (a 16' Kevlar) and can't wait to get her out...

Thanks!

Edited by Michel (Mike) Soucy

I have noticed a couple of guys going out into Lake Ontario in my area on a daily basis, starting this week. Only one of them fishes. Yesterday he claimed to have caught about 25 fish which included: pike, white bass, carp and brown trout.

So I'd say right now is the right time to get out. Be careful and good luck.

Dirk

If the canoe will float it's time to go. This is some of the most fun you will have all year in a canoe. You can go way back into flooded forests in some places in the spring. Last year the Moira was awesome.

Ice out trout are another good option. Just try and avoid the ice coming down river.

-Dave

I have noticed a couple of guys going out into Lake Ontario in my area on a daily basis, starting this week. Only one of them fishes. Yesterday he claimed to have caught about 25 fish which included: pike, white bass, carp and brown trout.

So I'd say right now is the right time to get out. Be careful and good luck.

Dirk

Thanks to all the responses. I have a feeling that with these temps I'll be putting in real soon for some Pike before the season closes.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
It is. 4 or 5 years ago on the May long. We did good that weekend.

Unreal. I've never made it to the lake. Fished the river near P.P. Dam. My partner and I caught the finest brookies either of us had ever seen. That's God's country for sure.

very, very soon lol. River and streams should be clear....then another week or 3 depending on temps. April 1st for the trout lakes in Bancroft at the latest.

-Dave

wow really i was on a lake up that way on monday still had 18inches on it. i think it might be a lil later then april first although i hope its soon cause im getting sick of drillin ice its much easier to hop in a boat and go.