Older Honda outboard - BF 75L

rob v

Hey guys - I may have an opportunity to purchase an older Honda outboard - hopefully to use as a kicker. It's at an estate auction and they,re selling it as is. Apparently it was in the parents house and the kids are cleaning up tthe estate. they're selling it as is. From a cursory inspection it doesn,t look too bad - no obvious signs of abuse, leakage, cracks etc. Prop seems to spin okay and the engine turns over. Obviously I can't do a compression test. Engine oil needs to be changed but at least there's some in it. Plugs look pretty new - but again I can't take them out to inspect them. Ser # is BF75L 1700986 (the only number that's a bit hard to tell is the 9).

Anyone know what year this unit is ?

Also - would anyone have an idea of its worth ? (approx).

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks very much. Rob V

Thanks capt Bruce - that's kinda what I thought. After my original post I contacted a honda service centre and they thought it was an 85 from that ser. #. If I has some assurance it was in decent operating condition I'd thing $500-$600 might be in order. Without it I gotta kinda take my chances. We'll have to wait and see how the auction goes. There are no fuel hoses, no kill switch, plugs and I,m sure I,ll need to replace the impeller and related gaskets. that all adds up too.

Best little kicker Ive had ,before this I allways went with a two stroke merc 9.9 oil in the gas etc., aside from the usual maintance and I changed an impeller a year or so ago no problems ,starts up cold runs on a thumble full of gas , had it out pushing my 12 foot tinny with me and anouther 200 pounder at the nuke plant chrismas day , allways bought north american ,now Ive gone over to the dark side lol.. Good luck, my friend bought his because of the good luck Ive had with mine .

Well I was the successfull bidder - got it for $330 taxes and buyer premium all in. Got it home and checked all the fluid levels - looked good - no discoloration in the lower end - no metal filings etc. Plugs looked okay too - no corrosion etc. I don't have the tools to do a compression check - but it's too late for that now anyways. Seems to turn over nicely. This weekend I'll get some fuel in it and see if we can make it run. I figure for that money it's probably worth it for parts. Hopefully I can get it running. If I can (touch wood) I think I got a decent little kicker.