Boat buying help

mistaredone

Hey all, the hunt is on for my new used boat and I could use a little help. Im trying to keep the price down near $4000 and for that im probably looking at an early 90's boat and motor. My question is what are typical problems asociated with a boat this age and how do I spot these problems on inspection. So far I have been on all the clasifieds every day and there is a pretty good amount to choose from. Would anyone recomend going to a dealer?

Thanks

Steve.

if it's aluminum and riveted check that the rivets are tight and look for hairline cracks around them. Check the transom for cracks as well. Fiberglass usually has wood associated with it and that's what you have to concern yourself with, it can get soft and mushy usually in the floor and transom, also look for bubbles under the clear coat. The motor is another whole issue, best thing to do is demand a on the water test ride. Good Luck.

Dealers are an option .

Try and get the maintainance records , compression test a must on the motor .

Look for damage to the boat underside and lower end of motor ( fresh paint ?)

Pull the cowling off the motor and see if anythuing looks like its been worked on ( thats not on the maintenance records) ie lose wiring harnesess , cracked paint at bolts etc .

If you search ' buying used baots' I am sure you'll come up with something as this has been discussed many time s, by those that knOW a heck of a lot more than me about boats/motors.

Good luck

TB

If you have found the boat of your dreams, taken it for a sea trial, and it seems like the boat for you; then pay a marine mechanic 70 - 100 buck to look it over for you. When you buy a house you get a home inspection, when you buy a boat get it inspected because if you breakdown in the middle of Erie, you might not make it home.

Just my two cents. Good luck with the search, if I run across anthing I'll let you know.