top fifty pike tournament! who going in it?

pike slayer

hey guys, me and my buddy want to call and sign up for the top fifty pike tournament. we definitly want to make it to the parry sound tourny, vermillion in chelmsford, and whitewater in azlida and possibly nipewasspi in northbay. does anyone have any good info on the tournaments that i should know. also does anyone have any info on the lakes? are they shallow weedy lakes or rocky lakes, what kinda structure, etc. if we do well at these tournys next year i'll start going into some bass and walleye tournaments, i hope the top fifty is a good entry level tournament that will help me get the feel for things

Well, I live just outside of Sudbury in Chelmsford. I fished two tournaments last year and I am hooked. I'm currently looking for a partner for this year so I can fish the series. They have a website, it's www.topfifty.ca

I can tell you first hand I've met a few of the guys that run the series and they're all about making the series better and putting on a good tournament. They put alot of work into putting on some good tournaments. I fished Vermillion last year and there were 100 boats. Different tournaments have different sized fields, but overall lots of good competition. The two I fished were alot of fun and organized well. The cash and prizes are good motivation to do well, and I honeslty believe everyone has a chance. Can't wait to get back out on the water.

my camp is up the vermillion river, i have mostly only fished vermillion lake/river in the last 10-15yrs , thats the only place i go every long wk-end, as walleyjigger said already loads of pike , big ones are hard to get tho. pic in my avatar is vermillion lake labour day wk-end 7am cant see a darn thing just hear the boats buzzing around!! lol

a longtime friend of mine and our family placed fifth last year at vermillion, i wouldn want to go up against him he knows the lake and gear , there was 97 teams in 08

Edited by BUSTER

thanks, i'll look into that turny! so whitewater is a muddy water weedy hole? and hows vermillion? is it also a dirty muddy hole of a lake with lots of little snot rockets? and sometimes you never know a new comer might show the old guys a thing or to. the guys that have been on the lake a while break there tackle down pretty small to the few lures that work and dont think out of the box. my buddy has fished this one lake his whole life and his grandpa has been fishing it for 30+ years and me and my buddy go in there and we catch more pike then they have ever seen and we've done it multiple times. i think it'll be a good time even if i dont do well. i just like to know the type of lake so i know what im up against. i fish alot of pike lakes that are crystal clear, with lots of rocks and structure and with almost zero weeds.

I like the competitive spirit. One word of warning though, as nice as all the guys are you will get humbled if you go in there guns ablazing. There are some very good, well accomplished anglers in these tourneys. Best thing to do is take a shot at it for fun, thats what I did last year. Don't take it too seriously, just the experience is worth it. If you've never blasted off against 90 other boats 10 at a time, and then cast until your arms are going to fall off, hoping you catch the winners, that alone is worth it. My first tourney I got skunked. The big goose egg. Probably fished the same lake 20 times leading up to the tourney, catching 5 or 6 pike an hour sometimes, and could not catch one that day. That was very, very humbling.