Heading to Florida in a Couple Days

Lunker777

Hey everyone

Well it wont be long now, We leave on Thursday down to Orlando.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to bring some fishing gear along with me and maybe hit a couple small lakes in the morning by myself or something ?

What do you think would be the best tackle for pond fishing in Florida ?

I'm thinking

- spinning rod

- bait cast

- Spinners and buzzbaits

- couple different worms... 10" power worm, senko etc.

- Weights & necessary tackle items.

Can anyone suggest some specific lures maybe ? or some tips ?

Thanks !

Two words.... CHUG BUG

Other than that, you're good to go.

Pretty much every (inland) pond/lake/puddle has bass in down there.

Enjoy!

P.S - leave some fish for me, I'll be there fishing Okeechobee from March 18-29th!

Like Stoty mentioned, try using top water lures. I was around fort Myers 2 weeks ago and we had a lot of action fishing Hula Poppers at night in the canals.

We also went to Okeechobee and tried every bass lure under the sun, but got skunked. I don't feel too bad because even the pros that were prefishing for an upcoming tournament were having a hell of a time catching anything because of the murky water that day. We talked to some guys that did catch some bass and they said that they were using watermelon senkos deep in the weeds.

Either way have fun, you're sure to catch something.

Edited by bronze_back

Thanks for the help guys

I still havent decided if I want to go out with a guide or just fish from shore.

A guide is a little pricey for me... it would be.. go fishing, or to universal studios... and If the wife has anything to do with it, we wont be goin fishin haha

Thanks for the help guys

I still havent decided if I want to go out with a guide or just fish from shore.

A guide is a little pricey for me... it would be.. go fishing, or to universal studios... and If the wife has anything to do with it, we wont be goin fishin haha

I'd opt for the guide. While I haven't fished there a lot I have found the lakes very weedy and I'd likely take 2 bait casters. Your lure choice looks fine to me but if I recall correctly many of the guides and locals are using live shiners at this time.

Just something to keep in mind they have critters down there you aren`t used to seeing? Gators and poisonous snakes, watch where you wander?

Bass are bass the tackle you mentioned should work if you locate them. No idea how shoreline access is down there or what to expect in the line of shoreline cover. Average bass may be bigger and a better chance for a hog? Heavier line? Don`t know what you use.