deep cycle or cranking

sonny

Ok over the last couple of years my cranking battery has had some accesories added to it,,,sonar,lighting and downrigggers,,,the question is now that the battery need replacing would a deep cycle battery last longer under theses circumstances.

What are you running?

They do sell combo deep cycle / cranking batteries ........

I was also wondering about these,,,and i forgot to mention alot of the time when operating the down riggers the main motor is off and trolling with a kicker that is not charging the battery.

My boat only has a fish finder, nav lights and live well so when I recently picked up a new battery I asked around and even the people at INTERSTATE Batteries told me to just go with the Deep Cycle Battery.

If you are running a bunch of other things like radio, trolling motor, etc then a cranking would be better.

A deep cycle battery should be only used for the trolling motor and the main starting battery should be enough to handle GPS/Sonar combo, live well, VHF radio, bilge bump and running lights. I have a Delco Voyager for 8 years taking care of all of this while my deep cycle battery is only hooked up to the trolling motor. I also have a on-board charging system that is hook up to both batteries. This is plug in once I return home or at the dock that I am staying at.

DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES SHOULD NOT BE HOOKED UP THE THE OUTBOARD IF IT HAS A ALTERNATOR. THIS SMALL CHARGE IS NOT GOOD FOR THE DEEP CYCLE BATTERY.

Bob

I have the same situation as you (fishfinder, gps, 2 downriggers and use kicker). I picked up one of the energizer deep/cycle batteries and have had no problems. Probably not the best batteries but pretty cheap and the one I have in my 14' just used for lights and starting is going on 6 or 7 years.