Smelts?

bigugli

Back on Mar 1st invited Icefisherman and Crappieperchhunter down to hit on some smelts. I figured it would be no problem, I hadn't heard of a tough day's bite this year.

They were waiting for me. :wallbash: That cold cell shut things down harder than I expected. Tried a few different tactics and moved but the smelts were hugging bottom and few were rising to the bait. :dunno:

It wasn't til the last 1/2 hour out that we found the right presentation and started to get hits. Only a few handfuls were going to have a date with the skillet.

It was great to meet some OFNer's to fish together. Sorry I couldn't put the pattern together.

Now Emil brought his young son with him and, let me tell you, He is an absolute charmer. He was in his own world having a gay old time and keeping us cheerily amused. That boy is a gem, Emil. You are a lucky father.

Sorry for the late report. The "Crash of OFC" and the onset of the flu shortly after left me a bit preoccupied :stretcher:

Bruce, thanks for the hospitality and the guided trip.

Never fished for smelts before so I was curios to try it.,....yes it took me a while to fines it and the weather/wind didn't help but hey....we still had great time and I was quite happy to see my son enjoying his first ice trip. He got a bit cold last 30 min or so but hey I did too ;-)

Bruce sorry we couldn't stay as I wanted to get him back home for a warm bath but we'll sure do it next time. Just hope for better weather;-)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Yes it was a good day Bruce. I enjoyed myself very much and was glad to get out with you and Emil and his son. Emil your young lad is a gem. You got yourself a fishing partner for life right there. It was nice to meet your family too Bruce and the fish fry was awesome. I don't know if I will make it back down this year, but I would like to make it down a couple of times next winter and I will hunt you down if I do. Hopefully Big Cliff can join in as well. I know he enjoyed his trip down there too.

Keep some time open for a fall perch trip. I owe you a nice day on the water.

Thx again for the great day.

Regards,

Steve

Great report Bruce :thumbsup_anim:

Sounds like you guys had a great time out there even with the unpredictable weather :clapping:

The main thing is that you got out, with great company and hooked on a few for the pan :clapping:

Good job and thanks for sharing

Jacques