newbie to float fishing

huey graphite

I visited the Spring Fishing and Boat Show for the 1st time this year. A little small compared to the Sportsmen Show but I guess that is to be expected when you weed out all the non-outdoors related vendors.

I picked up a 10.5' noodle rod which I intend to use for trout in the Lower Niagara and other rivers. Now I'm looking for a reel to use with it. I know a centrepin would be my best option, but what other alternatives are there? can I use a spinning reel and if so, should I be looking at something lightweight?

Finally, if float fishing and bottom bouncing, can a braided line (Fireline?) be used?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

HG

If your going with a spinning reel get one with a quality drag and that's fairly light in weight. I would personally get a centerpin for many reasons like kemper stated ravens will be cheap second hand but I would get an islander for a few extra bucks. As for line ask 100 guys you'll get 100 answer, its personal preference. welcome to the dark side.

Edited by silvio

Can't help you with the line question. All I have ever used is 6LB trilene XL. When less visible line is needed I go perching or crappie fishing instead.

As far as a pin goes....don't get caught up in that until you decide you are going to do alot of steel fishing. The best steelheader I know has NEVER owned a PIN....and has probably caught more steel then most here could ever imagine. And honestly as long as you have good line and a decent rod...you can have the crappiest reel going and it really doesn't matter. So any decent reel will be more then adequate.

Good luck...prime steel season is fast approaching.

For line, if you a using a centerpin run mono. If using a spinning reel you can run either.

I like braid especially when bottom bouncing as it transmits what's going on under the surface so much better.

When bouncing I run 3 feet of flourocarbon leader for a stealthier presentation.

On my centerpins I run either 8# Ande or 12# Raven with 4 to 10 pound leaders (flouro or Maxima Ultragreen).

For braid it's 15 or 20 pound Power Pro with 6 to 12 pound leaders.

Well, from my limited knowledge with steelheading I can tell you just about everything works. I've used braided line, heavy mono, and light mono. I haven't used one of those float reel pin deals, although I own one and we'll see how I like it during spring.

With the spinning reel I find you gotta work the reel more in terms of letting line out yourself off the spool ( but not to much as you gotta keep it somewhat taut while letting it run with the flow ) , being ready to clamp down the bale when a fish strikes ( or set the hook by grabbing a hold of your line, then closing your bale ), etc. I like the drag part of it, takes a bit of work out for ya.

Have you seen what a centerpin looks like in action?

Basically the current pulls out line from your reel, you keep your finger near it that once your boober sinks you press your finger down and set the hook. Once the fish is on, you adjust "drag" ( now I put it in quotations 'cause , well I'm not sure how to explain it, but yeah ) with your finger. There is a drag mechanism on the reel itself but used to protect the line from being pulled out by the current or soemthing like that.

This is what I've gathered from observing my friend using his pin.

I'm sure its easy to get used to the finger method, not after your loose a fish, or three.

Again, this is coming from a dude whos NEVER used a pin, lol. Go figure?

Anyways, I ghope I gave you some insight on this :P

Edited by Dozer