92'' shed

centerpin_drift

after being held over for the past few weeks with a busted up knee, i got out yesterday for some shed hunting since some of the snow around here melted away, found a couple real nice sheds, including one imparticular. This one is a 92'' typical 6 with a kicker off the back of the g2. I went out again today to bush wack this bucks stomping grounds without success. ive still got a few antlers from bucks i know sitting out on the property somewhere, so i'll be out everyday looking.

heres my 24th of the season

004.jpg

locate a major food sources and get ready to put on the miles. walk deer trails and find bedding areas in thickets. look for scrapes and rubs, find milling areas and escape routes. keep and eye out of deer crap marking travel routes, bucks trails are usually 10 feet off main trails. fence lines and road crossings, anywhere a deer can knock or jar their head when their pedicals get brittle. stop every couple feet and look around, you'll be suprised how many you walked passed.

good luck

Fabulous, Drifter_016. Nice moose horns, whatever you call em.

Is that some sort of camera remote control in your left hand? Wishin I had that feature.

Yes it's a remote trigger for my Olympus Stylus 300.

It comes in handy, sure beats running back to get in the shot before the self timer goes off.

FYI.

Animals that have antlers shed them yearly (elk, moose, deer, caribou) while animals that have horns don't shed (goats, antelope, sheep)

I understand, Drifter, thx. Antlers are annual, horns aren't.

I'm still amazed that you live in YellowKnife, and fly in to the more remote spots. You, solopaddler and Moosebunk are the core of the hardcore.

And there is this little gem...

dave400.jpg

Makes my avatar look like bait.

Edited by douG

very nice indeed, i found a five pt the other day but is tiny compared to your 6. the next day i found a carcass of a small 7pt. i guess someone hit him and never recovered it, not much but i was still pumped to find.

good job,

jason