what a fishing adventure!

pike slayer

So this morning i meet my buddy at his place and and we were gonna go on the sleds from his place. i go to top up my oil on my 2003 polaris rmk 700 and i notice theres no coolant in my bottle! totally explains why i had cooling issues the week before. so i top off my oil and coolant and we are on our way. we get down the trail a km and we make it to robertson and this where it all goes wrong hahaha. me and my buddy are wild on our sleds catwalking and powder turning across the lake. we are hammering it across the lake and i see him right beside me and POW. we side swipe each other LOL. we stop to make sure both of us are ok and the sleds are ok. his sled just got a scratch on the hood and i put a small dent in my trailing arm, then i see on the other side of my sled coolant pissing out all over the ground. theres my problem right there as to why i was over heating!! theres a guy my buddy knows fishing on the lake and we talk to him and park it there for the rest of day. so we are off to bone lake double riding in which is about 3-4km past robertson. So we get to our spot, drill holes, and within minutes my buddy hooks into a big fish and hes fighting and fighting and he looses it! could this day get any worse?? 3 guys show up on the lake and they rip past us and the one sled is just a smoking like crazy and the whole lake is covered in smoke. they stop a bit down the lake and the sled is just smoking like crazy and you cant seem see the sled anymore, looked like it was doing a big burn out hahaha. well that sled was definitly cooked, more then likely a blown crank. so we are fishing away doing well actually catching some nice 2lb lakers, getting them on small silver williams about 5feet below the ice. so we are fishing away and 3 sleds pull up. 2 mnr guys and 1 opp officer and we are like oooo great what a day, they are gonna try and bone us on something. so the one mnr guy comes walking up to me and says i wanna see your license and right when he gets beside me BAM i hook into a fish and im like hold on a second here while i reel in this fish! haha he was like geez im good luck. paper work was all good and they were on their way, thank god! my buddys brother is with us on a skandic and he was bombing around on the lake and the thing starts vibrating really bad and we looked into changed the belt and changed things over and couldnt find anything so he took off early back home. so back to the other guys with the blown up sled, the 2 of them left buddy on the lake and they went back to the truck to get a tow rope for him and i guess across robertson lake the guy with a 2000 polaris rmk 600 went down a cylinder! not those guys day either and they also got charged with riding without a helmet. so we had our limit and we head back to robertson to fish for a while and never got anything there. and we go over to my sled and we fill the coolant with water and we fire it up and run it towards buttermilk which is 2-3km away, the closet road to the lake. so we get to the end of the lake and the mnr and the opp officer is there and earlier in the day i told them my situation and they are like just giver hell! so theres me, my buddy with no trail permit and 2 mnr and 1 opp officer just hammering down the ofsc trail to make it in time to the loading zone before it over heats. so we make it there and we double back to my buddys place and i drive the truck over and pick up my sled. while i was out in goulais i stopped at my uncles place and we get to the root of the problem. we put a coolant tester on the sled we find that its spraying out under my footwell. theres an alimium tube that runs along the running board and it cracked. so now i gotta rip the trailing arm off, take the belly pan off, and take the footwell out and such to get at it to tig weld up the crack. so that was my day!! great fishing, poor sleds!

If you guys had fishing gear you don't need a trail pass to be on OFSC trails...if your fishing (and can prove it, ie:have a rod) your good to go.

At least thats the way i understand it.

Sucks when days like that happen, I'm goin witha crew of 8 tommorrow and gauranteed something is gonna go wrong.

yup definitly gonna be a fun job. ripping it down so we can even get at the spot to weld it and we are gonna have to leave it in the shop for a couple days to dry out then yes torch it and then tig it. today wasnt a good day for polaris', 3 down, good thing my sled still runs though, hasnt totally let me down, its always got me home! all well it was an experience i'll never forget!

If you guys had fishing gear you don't need a trail pass to be on OFSC trails...if your fishing (and can prove it, ie:have a rod) your good to go.

At least thats the way i understand it.

Sucks when days like that happen, I'm goin witha crew of 8 tommorrow and gauranteed something is gonna go wrong.

thats right if your using it to get directly to a fishing spot, trap line, or if its your only means of transportation and your going for supplies its yours to use without a permit

yup definitly gonna be a fun job. ripping it down so we can even get at the spot to weld it and we are gonna have to leave it in the shop for a couple days to dry out then yes torch it and then tig it. today wasnt a good day for polaris', 3 down, good thing my sled still runs though, hasnt totally let me down, its always got me home! all well it was an experience i'll never forget!

yeah its never easy ,these newer sleds are even worse the places they tuck some stuff into is unbeliveable must look good on paper or a CAD machine

Thank you but, The goal of Bill 101 was to ensure that recreational snowmobilers pay their way. However, it also recognized

that snowmobile trails on Crown Land are sometimes used for commercial purposes, so limited trail permit

exemptions were allowed, applicable "only for Prescribed OFSC Trails on Crown land". These exemptions are

for specified workers while engaged in their work and able to prove it with appropriate documents. They

include bait harvesters; "commercial fish harvesters"; trappers; prospectors; forest workers; utility companies

and mining or exploration companies.

A very limited exemption on Crown land only is also

available to specific anglers and hunters who can prove that they are using a snowmobile while engaged in

their sport, but only when the OFSC trail on Crown land is the only or safest access route from the closest

road.

It is very restricted.

Curt

Edited by nancur373

Thank you but, The goal of Bill 101 was to ensure that recreational snowmobilers pay their way. However, it also recognized

that snowmobile trails on Crown Land are sometimes used for commercial purposes, so limited trail permit

exemptions were allowed, applicable "only for Prescribed OFSC Trails on Crown land". These exemptions are

for specified workers while engaged in their work and able to prove it with appropriate documents. They

include bait harvesters; "commercial fish harvesters"; trappers; prospectors; forest workers; utility companies

and mining or exploration companies.

A very limited exemption on Crown land only is also

available to specific anglers and hunters who can prove that they are using a snowmobile while engaged in

their sport, but only when the OFSC trail on Crown land is the only or safest access route from the closest

road.

It is very restricted.

Curt

its restricted but if your actually going fishing there not gonna challenge ya

yup, the part i dont get is you have to drive as far as you can with your vehicle and unload and go on the trail. so that means if i dont have a trail permit and i go from my house and drive 40km on the trail to a lake how could they prove and charge you, also what if i didnt own a car or trailer!?! ahhh well don't matter to me, i just follow the rules, i dont want to be hasseled or get fines, just not worth it. and pikeie i should have my sled up and going again by the end of the week. now for nates sled hahaha he hasnt done a thing to it, still sitting there covered in snow cause he cant afford to fix it. i got it running but it runs like crap and we think theres a blown bearing in the crank so he hasnt been out to much. have you been out anywhere lately?