Blondes etcetera

JohnF

So I went to the much vaunted fishin' show in T.O. today, despite the fact that TJ didn't see fit to draw my name for any freebies. Got there shortly after 10 and wandered, and wandered. The boat displays were pretty interesting to a non-owner like me. Affordable regular guy boats were the order of the day unlike many boat shows where all you see are those nautical behemoths no one but Onassis can actually afford. My buddy Rob was quite taken with the new order of plastic mounts that have superceded the old skin mounts, but then he's an artist obsessed about realism in his art, even when it gets weird, like the Hittite Shuffle piece. His rock bass looks real enough to swim. It hangs over my desk in the office.

I hit the first of several retailers showing their wares but nothing caught my attention so I passed on the rest of them. I spent a nice few moments with two friendly (and attractive) ladies at the Kawarthas Fishing exhibit. I gotta say in all sincerity they were wonderful ambassador (esses?) for the area. I warned 'em about Garry2rs, 'nuff said.

Then I made my way to Dave Mercer's presentation. By then my fishing buddy Rob had wandered off in search of someone to talk art with, and a glass of scotch apparently. Several things come to mind about Mercer's schtick. He's boisterous. He's comical (the poopy dance bit was a hoot). He made a number of sensible points in amongst all the noise and comedy about stuff us everyday fisherpersons need to be aware of. He gives autographs.

Finally I spotted Monique. When I looked closer I realized TJ was the guy next to her ogling the beer bar. I ambled over and introduced myself. He said something like "Pleased to make yer acquaintance. Is that beer for sale?" But then he seemed to get control and we talked. First order of the day was to meet Pete Maina who I hadn't recognized without his pink fairy hat. They'll tell you more about that later, I'm sure. I was trying to talk to Monique but TJ kept babbling. Then my friend Rob came along and when he's around women ignore me so I gave up and talked to TJ some more. Turns out we have a lot in common. We both like Famous Grouse, Crown Royal, etc. I also learned that Monique and I have a lot in common. We like martinis - a lot of them.

Somewhere along the line MFBRTA (My Fishing Buddy Rob The Artist) wandered off in search of either scotch or a fellow artist, and just as I was about to turn my back on TJ and resume conversation with Monique TJ drug her off to Mercer's booth to meet, greet & bleep - so I followed.

It was nice meeting a bunch of OFNers and their friends. TJ & Pete Maina embarrassed us by donning those furry pink hats. The gods of all that's holy & decent were with us and the tutus didn't make an appearance. Pictures will almost certainly surface.

What can I say about my fellow OFNers? I think MFBRTA summed it up best when he said "That girl who was with the quiet Asian guy, she's kinda hot." I tried to explain that I woulda warned him except that seeing only fish-slimed pictures of a woman in a ball cap holding a big stinky carp ain't exactly optimal conditions for forming conclusions as to personal pulchritude. The other problem gets back to that Blonde thingy I mentioned. How the heck are us guys, who heaven knows are stupid at the best of times, supposed to recognize you women when you post pics of yerselves in brilliant blonde locks tucked up under a ball cap and show up in longish straight strawberry tresses. Poor Cliff, when confronted with this dilemma said what any smart man would - "Duh??????". Me, the guy who picks up on those subtle nuances like a broad Brit accent, gave him a few hints like "Check the accent, dude" and "Port Dover". Finally the verbal 2x4 blows made an impression and he went "Nautifish???" in much the same tone that Archimedes musta uttered "Eureka!". TangledLines then enthused about what a wonderful presentation Dawg had delivered with the autographed jigs, and Jeff mentioned something about blowing the down payment on the new boat. Funny how I only remember the women. I know I also met some guys. No offense but you just weren't as cute as the girls. :thumbsup_anim:

Actually, I do remember the guys I met but I'm afraid to start naming names cuz I'm bound to fergit a few. It was a pleasure though, and hopefully I'll find a way to get to Lakair and meet a few more, although my liver is already flying the white flag at that prospect.

As for the show I'd like to see more manufacturers represented the way Loomis was, and the boat companies. It would be nice to know what's new and amazing coming down the pipe for me to spend my bux on next season. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more resorts represented although I suspect the best ones aren't in need of more bookings. The thing is I'd like to learn more about the nice ones so I can plan some holidays.

It was a nice day, even if the show was only okay. I'd probably do it again.

JF

Well you're lucky I didn't show up then John. I had a bit of an incident with a bottle of pink dye last month. It was supposed to be fushia highlights, but blended in all over after my rinse. Its mostly red now, but Paul was calling me Pinky Tustcadaro for awhile :lol:

Joey

Well you're lucky I didn't show up then John. I had a bit of an incident with a bottle of pink dye last month. It was supposed to be fushia highlights, but blended in all over after my rinse. Its mostly red now, but Paul was calling me Pinky Tustcadaro for awhile :lol:

Joey

So from now on we should watch for a hot leather clad babe with weird hair????

JF

:blush:

John, really enjoyed meeting and chatting with you today. You do not exactly look like your profile/fishing pictures either :D Still trying to picture the healy with powder blue wheel wells.

Well, I hope I at least smelled better than when out fishing.

JF