Silver Pike

I was watching....actually I forget the name of the show...anyway they were in northern ontario fishing for pike and they caught a Silver pike. Apparantly they're very rare, something like 42 of 19000 Pike are silver pike and pound for pound they fight harder than most fish.

Just wondering if anyone has caught one???

I think last time this came up we concluded that it was just a colouring thing and the fish are actually no different?

Absolutely right!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Same as calling a Blue colored Walleye a Blue Pickerel....or did ya ever catch a Perch that was almost black?

I know of a lake in Marten River where a Walleye's mouth and eyes are of a purple tinge.. and the supposed yellowish markings are Orange....They eat Crayfish and live in stained water.

Green vs Bronze.. Smallie? Rock Pile vs Weedbed.

It all has to do with the environment.... but some will argue that the fish was caught along with a bunch of "Normal" colored fish out of the same spot.... Who knows maybe he was "visiting for the weekend"... could live on the mudflat 35 yards beside the weedbed...?

Same species for sure.

The show in question was filmed in the Marten River area....these "Silver Pike" are rather common if you're a Pike angler....

Cache Bay on Lake Nipissing is a good example of the "Silver Pike " phenomena. You'll find that the Silver coloration primarily is found on a Juvenile Pike under 21" or so . I've seen a few that were bigger but not many...

....................................................HABITAT........................................................................

RFS

:canadian:

RFS

here ya go...

Alternate forms

commonly known as the tiger muskellunge[1] (Esox masquinongy x lucius or Esox lucius x masquinongy[2], depending on the gender of each of the contributing species). In the hybrids, the males are almost invariably sterile although the females are sometimes fertile.[3] Another form of northern pike, the silver pike, is not a subspecies but rather a mutation that occurs in scattered populations. Silver pike, sometimes called silver muskellunge, lack the rows of spots and appear silver, white, or silvery-blue in color. (Craig, 1).

Wikipedia.

Various other unofficial trivial names are: American pike, common pike, great northern pike, Great Lakes pike, grass pike, slough shark, snake, northern, and jackfish. Numerous other names can be found in Field Museum Zool. Leaflet Number 9.

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

My father caught this one in Abitibi Ice fishing in 06. It is really silver. Super stained water will make the silver's really silver. Same DNA as a northern. They get a lot of them in Manitoba that look really silver as well, because of the stained water. I have heard they are kinda like Albino's. Pictures do not do this fish justice. The back of this fish was silver scales, the side had a purple hue to it, and on the bottom you could it was white and kind of a peach colour. I would argue that environment could not have taken the pigment right out of this fish, but I dont know for sure. We also caught other pike that day that were completely normal looking at the same spot.

The walleye there were like the Greenbacks they get out in Manitoba. Due to the stained water.

LakeAbitibi031.jpg

Walleye from the same water.

LakeAbitibi009.jpg