FLoat Fishing- Light Lines:Main & Leader Question- Help!!!

baironhorse

Im a floatin newbie...Re. Main line and leader..... Question:

Is it ok to use left over leader from last (april08)year's outings? I was using 2,4,6 Drennan Fluorocarbon fly leader. I have a few wheels left over. Will it lose it's properties... Also for main line I am using Berkley Iron Slilk 8 & 10lbs- two new boxes a couple of years old..stocked up this line since it is discontinued from Brekley.... Don't want to get out there and be tying leaders all day from snags and most of losing FISH! :wallbash::wallbash:

You input would be approciated.

Thx

On a final note what do you guys recommend for Main Line. I here Maxima line in favoured? Whats your preference?

Thx again!

try breaking the leader line with ur hands.....if it breaks then definately get some new tippet.....you shouldn't need new main line but if you are looking to switch brands i am a big fan of P Line.....never had a problem with it but some other guys will tell ya that it tangles easily....i also used Trilene XT for a while but found that after a while it wears down easily....good luck

Interesting you like Pline Hawk, I spooled up with it when I got a bad wheel of raven and I nearly tossed my set up into the river. I thought it was absolutely terrible!

Got a spool of that new float line Im hearing so much about, no idea if its worth it but we will see.

As for leads, probably no sense in running a 2 pound lead. I never use less than 4.

Maxima owns, nuff said.

once you lose a good size fish with your old leader, your going to throw the lines out before you know it...

people say leaders have ONE YEAR shelf life..its your own risk to take when using old leaders..who knows :wacko:

for mainline, i spooled up with 8lb sufix elite, its performing quite well with both siglon and maxima leaders (4 and 6lbs). very little memory and soft..i've also used siglonV and siglonF in 10lb, both great lines...

Interesting you like Pline Hawk, I spooled up with it when I got a bad wheel of raven and I nearly tossed my set up into the river. I thought it was absolutely terrible!

yeah i've heard lotsa bad things about it....but i haven't had any problems with it yet....maybe you jus get a bad spool sometimes i don't....gonna check out the maxima tho for my baitcaster....

Hawk

I solely fish P-Line and Maxima --- both are great in my opinion. I also used to fish XT but I agree that it wears out quickly. As for your older fishing line, I find it will last longer at home on a spool than on a reel (no UV etc.), so if it's only a year old and you haven't used it, it should be fine. It can't hurt to do the old "see how easily it breaks when you pull it between your hands" test.

I have tried many lines over the years. It seems like i keep going back to Ande as my mainline. The stuff is cheap and very strong. I have used iron silk and i must admit i thought it was horrible. Lots of times my 8lb main line would break before my 4lb leader. Maxima is another one of my favs, but the ultra green dosnt really compare to the older tournament silver IMO. As for leader material. I liked the siglon florocarbon until i tried Drennan. I found the siglon to be very brittle, where as the Drennan is very strong and is more rock and fallen tree friendly. One of my friends swears by p line with a raven leader. He sure does put a lot of fish on the bank so it cant be all that bad...........

Everyone has their own opinion. What will work for you , might not work for someone else. I've had no issues with Raven 5.5 flouro leader and 10lb Siglon V ultra green.

Thats the best answer on here

try out different stuff till you find what you like, the rest of us might not agree but it works for you right?

Thanks for your responses...correction its only 4 & 6 lb leader I use. ... I have them stored in a cool dry place in their org. wheels.... the stuff is not cheap so I wanna make it last also can you guys let me know the brand name and model of main line this way I know what to look for at store and make a decsion...As I mention all I have used is Ironsilk in past and want to changing it up....

Thanks