Press Operators work in China.

Grimace

100 000 work related deaths in China every year. http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-01-11-chi...-deaths-in-2007

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Lo...erk_China_1.flv

Anyone up for some press operating????

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/business...5sweatshop.html

How about working exposed to raw lead, cadmium or mercury? Sounds like a real blast eh?

Pretty mind blowing stuff. Everyone keep your chins up through this economic mess, and be thankful you are not these poor buggers, but at the same time remember this is who your competing against. This is where our disappearing factories are going.

Do not be so tough on our Union men either. They fought against this crap years ago.

Cheers man.

This always makes me laugh when people wh have never been to China think they know what goes on their. First China has 1.3 billion people so compared to Canada on a per capita basis the industrial accidents are probably less.

To move on to the tainted milk scandal a while ago 3000 of the 1.3 billion people got sick or died The managers and workers responsible are all dead thanks to the PRC government.

In Canada Maple Leaf sickened and killed 300 about ten times the amount and McCain was applauded because he gave out a few million as compensation.

If you check out the UN stats our pollution and waste in North America is some of the worst in the world. Canada ranks 20th in recycling and waste diversion, far below China.

During the Olympics the press had a great time with pictures of the air pollution in the cities caused by 1.3 billion people. Check out the pollution over Hamilton Harbour one of these days caused by a mere 30 million. If I took a picture of Hamilton on a smoggy day you couldn't tell it from Shanghai, Gaungzhou or any place else in the world that pollutes the air including Windsor/Detroit.

The other point I would like to advance is your 'jobs' are not going to China. The auto industry fell apart in North America because of gouging and slipshod work by some of the CAW members, who like the commies in China couldn't be fired.

No I am not Chinese I was born in Canada I just like to keep things in perspective when someone who knows Zilch about a topic thinks he is informing the world on something new .

Maybe we should stick to fishing

Chukk.....i call bullcrap. China is an unbelievable mess pollution-wise. Have you been? They have destroyed much of their natural water systems. There are MANY rivers in china (as in most near populated areas) that i would not stick my hand in. You can't compare the air to Hamilton.....looks-wise, fine. But empirical quality -- not even close.

I don't know about them *stealing* our jobs, but you are very wrong about the pollution and environmental health hazards.

btw -- anyone buy frozen vegetables? Esp the organic stuff? Look at the packaging...much of it comes from china. I am pretty easygoing about this stuff normally but do a google search on China and Organic food and you might never again buy a bag of frozen spinach without reading the package to ensure its not from there.

Edited by cram

Take a pill numb nuts. I wasn't claiming to know a pile about it. Just throwing it out there.

You sure sounded like you were claiming you know a pile about China and everywhere else. If you don't know what your talking about and in this case you don't then stick to something you know ...instead of "just throwing it out there". If China was the backward place you guys would want us to believe they would not be the leading economy in the world today.

btw - comparing the tainted milk scandal to Maple Leaf is really offside. Maple Leaf failed in its ability to eliminate a bacteria that naturally occurs. The tainted milk scandal was about poisonous material being added to the milk as *filler* to help it meet nutrition guidelines (assume it was watered down or something?)

Further, how many products (including toys for babies and kids) have been found to contain poison, lead, etc?

You can't compare china and canada. To do so means you don't really appreciate what's here.

Chukk.....i really disagree. China is a shithole pollution-wise. Have you been? There are MANY rivers in china that i would not stick my hand in. You can't compare the air to Hamilton.....looks-wise, fine. But empirical quality -- not even close.

I don't know about them *stealing* our jobs, but you are very wrong about the pollution and environmental health hazards.

Well I respectfully agree to disagree so we don't have a problem . How many times have you actually been to China? or are you getting all your info from CNN. I am in China at least 4 times every year along with Korea and Vietnam, so I see a pretty good picture. Admitted China has some cleaning up to do from the past but believe me every river is far from being a shithole. If you look at China most of the population is along the coast 1.3 billion much like most of Canada is along the U.S> border, Away from Hamilton bay etc where there is less population we have some pretty nice rivers as do the PRC.

You can't compare the two countriews because of the population and the length of time they have been in existence.

btw - comparing the tainted milk scandal to Maple Leaf is really offside. Maple Leaf failed in its ability to eliminate a bacteria that naturally occurs. The tainted milk scandal was about poisonous material being added to the milk as *filler* to help it meet nutrition guidelines (assume it was watered down or something?)

Further, how many products (including toys for babies and kids) have been found to contain poison, lead, etc?

You can't compare china and canada. To do so means you don't really appreciate what's here.

So we let the McCains off the hook because they didn't clean the plant and we let the walkerton water guys of the hook because they were drinking on the job and screwed with the figures.

The Lead guys in china are alreaady dealt with. Two were executed and one wasted himself.

Regardless of how maple leaf screwed up they still killed people in this country and are free to "fail in its ability to eliminate a bacteria that naturally occurs. " again and again . Perhaps if you had lost someone to the Listeria outbreak you may have seen it differently

What your saying is multinational conglomerates have a free pass in Canada as long as the bacteria is a natural substance.

Well I respectfully agree to disagree so we don't have a problem . How many times have you actually been to China? or are you getting all your info from CNN. I am in China at least 4 times every year along with Korea and Vietnam, so I see a pretty good picture. Admitted China has some cleaning up to do from the past but believe me every river is far from being a shithole. If you look at China most of the population is along the coast 1.3 billion much like most of Canada is along the U.S> border, Away from Hamilton bay etc where there is less population we have some pretty nice rivers as do the PRC.

You can't compare the two countriews because of the population and the length of time they have been in existence.

China has more birth defects per capita from pollution than any sizable country in the world.. 1/4 of the country doesn't have access to "drinkable" water. Water, yes....but its poisonous. Much of china's industry is based right on waterways with very little to no filtering of wastewater. The two largest rivers in the country are absolutely toxic. Many of the urban areas (admittedly larger and more concentrated than cities here) have air quality that is considered unsafe to breath (at all) by our standards.

In terms of where i get this information -- look it up. You can find much of it on China Daily, or international health/environmental organizations (lots of them), or the WHO (world health organization).

Or just look at the fact that many of our clean-water technology companies view it as the biggest/sexiest market in teh world to sell their wares> They are voting with their wallets. (if they are allowed to sell their stuff there, which is yet to be determined).

So we let the McCains off the hook because they didn't clean the plant and we let the walkerton water guys of the hook because they were drinking on the job and screwed with the figures.

The Lead guys in china are alreaady dealt with. Two were executed and one wasted himself.

Regardless of how maple leaf screwed up they still killed people in this country and are free to "fail in its ability to eliminate a bacteria that naturally occurs. " again and again . Perhaps if you had lost someone to the Listeria outbreak you may have seen it differently

What your saying is multinational conglomerates have a free pass in Canada as long as the bacteria is a natural substance.

Nope....saying one is negligent (not cleaning well enough). The other is evil (putting poison in milk as filler so that they could sell more). Not sure how you don't see the difference.

Let me put it this way -- i would happily drink water from canada, eat food grown here, and let my kids play with toys made here. Can you say teh same about China?

Nope....saying one is negligent (not cleaning well enough). The other is evil (putting poison in milk as filler so that they could sell more). Not sure how you don't see the difference.

Let me put it this way -- i would happily drink water from canada, eat food grown here, and let my kids play with toys made here. Can you say teh same about China?

All your kid's toys are made in China. You would be hard pressed to find anything with a Made in Canada label on the shelf. I tried last year. That's the way it is. Water...maybe? Food...check the label. Kids toys...you must be joking! Shoes ...forget it! All we have is natural resources and we send it away to be processed and sent back in a different form. Cheap labor man!!! You take advantage of it every day!

I'm guessing you weren't the president of your high school and feeling a little bitter about something? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by verminator

All your kid's toys are made in China. You would be hard pressed to find anything with a Made in Canada label on the shelf. I tried last year. That's the way it is. Water...maybe? Food...check the label. Kids toys...you must be joking! Shoes ...forget it! All we have is natural resources and we send it away to be processed and sent back in a different form. Cheap labor man!!! You take advantage of it every day!

I'm guessing you weren't the president of your high school and feeling a little bitter about something? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not really sure what your point is.....that you'd feel safe drinking water from china or eating food grown there (with its polluted water)? I assume the fact you looked for toys not made there means you're not that big a fan yourself.