Motorguide or Minnkota Powerdrive

gotguns

I'm in the market for a trolling motor for my 16' aluminum console boat. I have found 2 used ones, 1 is a motorguide 55lb wireless other one is a Minnkota 55lb Powerdrive. I was hoping someone had experience with both or at least one and could give me their opinion. I can get the powerdrive for less money but it is 2 years old, motorguide is 2008.

Like the GMC/Ford/Dodge debate!

I like my motorguide wireless ! Just make sure it's mounted out far enough that the shaft assembly can swing thru it's designed tangent without contacting the gunnel edge... right Terry! (otherwise it can explode like breaking spagettii!)... but the shaft is guaranteed for life ! and if you break it they usually have to give you a new power head as well.. :thumbsup_anim: .. as they they can't get the shaft out of the old head in most cases!

Edited by irishfield

I have a 2008 Motorguide wireless (12 volt, 45 lbs). It came stock with my 16' side console. It worked beautifully last year for me. Now, I do not often fish from sun-up to sun-set and I am not looking to pull skiers with it, but it never failed me. It had plenty of staying power and moved the boat how ever I liked. It is quiet and the foot pedal worked beautifully (I am looking for one of those wrist strap do-dads for this summer).

Beware the up-graders.

Jim

I have the 55lb minn kota power drive. So far so good. I've run it for 2 seasons from about april to december at least once a week, usually 2 or 3 times. No probs yet, and I bought it used as well. I can fish all day on one battery no problem in a good wind.

Sinker