Haliburton Lakes

Burtess

Heading up to the Haliburton area in a couple of weeks to do some ice fishing. We stay in a house on Miskwabi Lake (about 10min east of Haliburton). We have only fished this lake in the area and have always only come up with a couple of small lakers (12-16").

Anyone have any suggestions on other bodies of water in the area that may be more productive? I think I want to try somewhere new this year.

Thanks,

Burt :)

The hardest part about fishing that area, is picking a lake. I've been cottaging in that area for 25 yrs. Most of the lakes are pretty much the same. I find the lakes that are a little less travelled produce the best fish up there, but its tough going on them right now. Its all about access.

Slot lakes with one line are my favourites, as long as they aren't rammed with people all the time. The pressure seems to make the fish smarter. Just because you don't see anyone fishing a lake, doesn't mean there are no fish in it........HINT!!!

How deep do you normally fish? I get most of my bigger lakers in 20-30FOW. Most people fish much deeper, where the nursery fish live......HINT #2!!

A live minnow suspended under a slip float over deep water will usually get a nice fish. You won't get many, but if you get a hit, its a good one most times.

If you have a lake in mind, shoot me a pm, and I may have some info on it.

Sinker

I've got private access to the entire West shoreline of Glamor Lake (Little Bear).. but I couldn't 100% direct you there... I can only drive to it by "feel" from 4 decades+ of going to Gramma's/now Uncle's. If you can find it down Glamor Lake Rd, off the Buckhorn between Gooderham and Haliburton, you can probably access if from the outlet dam where my uncles property starts (ends at the inlet dam). Issue is the road to the outlet dam isn't marked as it's a private road on property Gramma sold off about 60+ years ago. Let me play on Google earth....

Edited by irishfield

I've got private access to the entire West shoreline of Glamor Lake (Little Bear).. but I couldn't 100% direct you there... I can only drive to it by "feel" from 4 decades+ of going to Gramma's/now Uncle's. If you can find it down Glamor Lake Rd, off the Buckhorn between Gooderham and Haliburton, you can probably access if from the outlet dam where my uncles property starts (begins at the inlet dam). Issue is the road to the outlet dam isn't marked as it's a private road on property Gramma sold off about 60+ years ago. Let me play on Google earth....

I could get you there, but lets see what you come up with first....... :whistling:

Some nice smallies in there too :thumbsup_anim:

Sinker

LOL... the East side is littered with cottages... so easy access over there. Those cottages weren't even there when I was a kid and now my uncle isn't allowed to subdivide his shoreline from inlet to outlet dams!

Google earth resolution for that area is so bad I can barely make out what's a main road... let alone a side road or private lane. Guess I'll have to try it out myself some day. Sad that I've never even fished the lake... even though I spent many full summers there as a kid.

Edited by irishfield

Wayne; My aunt and uncle would leave from Stouffville and venture up to Bear Lake to fish for several days each year. They would stay at Nellie Grahams house ; this would be back in the 40's (guessing) Anyway your grandmother would make your grandfather row the boat while she would troll for lake trout ; she loved to fish so the story goes. Back in the 50's or 60's the east side of the lake was sub divided. My uncle from Gooderham bulldozed the roads into the lake.

Send me a PM with names mukluk and I'll talk to my mother. Not sure what year my GFather screwed off and left them to fend for themselves. My mother is the oldest at 83 (born in '26). Moss still lives on the property alone @ 82... and all of Glen's kids still live in the village.

Sorry to take your thread off course Burtress... lots of lakes up there for sure and hopefully us keeping the thread to the top gets you some responses!

Sinker:

At Miskwabi we usually fish around 80ft just off the bottom with minnows or jigging spoons. Maybe fishing shallower will be more productive, will have to give that a go.

Irishfield:

Is Glamor Lake the one directly south of Loon? We can check that out also an maybe give that a try.

Tony:

Never tried pink worms for lakers but I will give anything a go!

The lakes I was looking at in the area are Grace, Farquhar, Straggle... they seem to have road access. We usually just walk out on Miskwabi but one of the guys is bringing a couple snowmobiles so we may have more mobility.

Thanks for the replies.

Burt :)

Glamor (Bear) is one lake North of Wolf... two North of Pine..which = the third lake North of Gooderham as Pine is right at the town!

Just had a look and yes... it's South of Loon Lake. There are other little lakes in amongst.. but the 4 main large lakes, S to N, are Pine, Wolf, Glamor and Loon. Stoney lake is to the west of Glamor and accessible from the highway between Gooderham and Haliburton.

Edited by irishfield