Lake Simcoe Virginia Beach Report - Saturday Jan 31

ozaibak1

Hello all, well decided to venture out ice-fishing again after the first time was a smashing success. Last time we went, the temperature dropped from about 0C to -18C overnight. This time around, it dropped from around 0C to -23C in the morning! Had more clothing on this time so was manageable, but still quite cold! Think -23 may be the coldest I've ever experienced, not sure.

On our way up north from Toronto, stopped by Bass Pro. Picked up some swedish pimples, and williams lures in gold and silver. We wanted to get our first pike ever on this trip. When we got to the first hut, I dropped down my new williams hoping to get a pike right away. Alas, it was quite a slow day. Moved on to targeting perch, but they were quite lockjawed as well. We started chumming the waters with sardines, this did not produce results and it seemed like the day was going quite slow. As a result of this, the drinking increased at quite a fast rate with the bottle being finished before noon I believe.

I don't know what time it was, but me and my friend were talking, he had his line in the water not paying attention to it. All of a sudden, his rod doubles over, he goes 'holy crap,' and the line starts peeling!!! I could not believe it, it seemed like it was not gonna happen for us, and the line kept peeling indicating a fish on the line. Now before this, I had requested that the operator get us a gaffing hook in case we will need it. And we did!

I had 2 goals this trip: to either catch a pike, or use a gaffing hook on a pike. Well the second goal was met, as soon as that thing surfaced, it was instinct. I didn't think, I just acted, and within a few seconds we had our first pike ever. I felt like the luckiest kid in the world, a feeling of pure joy I seldom experience, unless its while fishing.

Our heater failed, and we moved to another hut. The fishing was slow as well, we did manage very few perch each however. But I would call the day just as successful, if not more, than our first perch-mania outing. Furthermore, this pike was cleaned and half of it has been eaten. I must say the meat is delicious, and easy to make a boneless fillet, I did this just by watching a youtube video on how to remove the y-bones.

I'm looking forward to my next fishing trip, which hopefully will be this weekend, I'm thinking about leaving the city and living off the land becoming a hunter/fisherman for a few months or a year, and increase my outdoors skills, never know when they will be needed. Duno if that will pan out however.

Here's a few pics, I'm the person on the right:

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

I don't know why pike are ridiculed by so many on this forum, they don't seem so bad!