Field Testing new equipment.

Garry2Rs

Yesterday I received a package from Cabela's containing my most recent order.

There was a Quantum Accurist reel, a spool of the new Fireline Tracer BRAID and a couple of Spro's Little John crank-baits.

This morning I loaded the line onto the reel, tied on the Little John and went fishing.

First, I have to say that even as a longtime Power Pro fan, I think that I like this new Fireline Braid.

In the past, Fireline was thicker for a given pound test than Power Pro, and it tended to delaminate with use.

The cross section of the old line was quite flat and because it wasn't woven, hooks could slip between the fibers quite easily.

It was still a very useful product and when I couldn't get Power-pro I bought Fireline without any regrets.

This new line seems to answer all of those old concerns and more.

For those of you who like trivia, Power-pro is a four strand braid.

A four strand braid produces and oval thread.

The eight strand braid, that Fireline is using, should in theory produce a much rounder line.

LittleJohnTracer007.jpg

Some other Braids that I have used are quite loosely woven.

This causes problems when hook points penetrate the weave when you hook a lure to the hook keeper on the rod etc.

This was only one day of fishing, but so far the new Fireline seems to be a good tight weave that hook points don't easily snag.

The Tracer feature is alternating chartreuse and dark green sections of line. Each section is 2.5 feet long.

I think this feature will be great for bait fishing and weightless Senko's etc. where you are trying to detect any line movement...

The water down here is an generally an olive tone.

Today the dark green sections of the line were invisible against the water, but the chartreuse was easy to see.

Against clear water the opposite might be true.

At any rate, the light/dark pattern made it very easy for me to see any movement in the line.

My new reel is currently on sale at Cabela's for about $60.00 US...that's half price...because it is now discontinued in favour of a new model.

It features an interesting flipping switch, that I like.

This switch disconnects the handle, so that when you release the thumb button the reel is automatically in gear.

If you don't flip or pitch, this won't mean anything, but for those who do, it's pretty slick.

The Little John is a Japanese (Spro) bait that was designed by USA Bass Pro John Cross. It is a flat sided 2" bait that weighs 1/2 an ounce!!!

It has the typical Japanese oval split-ring and the lip is of the so-called "computer chip" material.

In reality this is a hard, thin plastic similar to that used for computer circuit boards.

LittleJohnTracer006.jpg

The bait uses a silent weight transfer system, much like the Rapala "long cast minnow'' system. It casts like a stone!

There is no rattle on the retrieve.

The bait is flat sided...John Cross basically described the bait as a mass production version of those hand-made crankbaits that are much sought after by Bass Pro's in the southern USA. The problem with the hand-made baits is that only about 20% of them (one in five) work right!

Plus, as hand-made pieces of art, they cost about $20.00 a piece.

Another problem with these hand-made baits is that they are very fragile and a collision with a rock or dock can render them useless.

The Spro bait was designed to be durable, easy to cast, bounce off of timber etc. and catch fish.

It worked for me...what more can I say.

LittleJohnTracer001.jpg

Garry2R's

Fireline is smoother eh? Is the diameter for the tracer stuff of the same lb-test smaller than PowerPro diameter?

Ex: diameter of 10lb Fireline Tracer vs.Power Pro 10lb

A very nice review, thank you for putting everything together!

For a second I thought I was on TackelTour Product Review section. :clapping:

I bought 40 pound test to use on my bait-caster and that's what you're seeing in the pictures. If you think that on a casting reel the Tracer feature is of questionable value, I agree, but the Tracer and the plain dark green are the same price, and I wanted to try out the Tracer.

Both the 40 pound line spool and box are marked as being equal to 10 pound test diameter mono, but no actual measurements are given.

So far the heaviest weight of Braided Fireline shown on Cabela's site is 50lb, equal to 12lb mono. and the lightest is 15 lb, equal to 4 pound mono. These equivalent diameters are the same as given for Power Pro. Of coarse with no actual measurements you only have their word for it...grin.

The reel is supposed to hold 150 yards of 12 pound test mono...I was able to put all 110 yards of the Fireline on it, but the spool is over full. I was anxious to field test the new line, but was only planning to put half of this line onto the reel, over cheap backing. Therefore, I didn't want to cut any off for the "test run." Anyway, if the reel manufacturer is honest about the reel's line capacity, that might indicate that the Fireline is actually closer to 15 pound mono. in diameter. But all of this is hair-splitting because everybody might be fibbing...HAHAHA.

Time will tell whether the colours fade away and if the slick finish wears off or the weave loosens up.

Last year I used 10 and 20 pound red Power Pro on my Senko rods for the higher visibility. This year I will definitely be using 15 lb. Tracer on those rods.

Edited by garry2rs

....Thanks for a great field test report Garry, always nice to have input from knowlegable folks like yourself. As for the flipping feature, for me a must have when back trolling bottom bouncers, and vertical jigging lakers through the water column (ice and open water seasons). :D

Thanks for the great report! I may have to give that line a try myself!

As for the line capacities on reels even having the tackle shop spool them tight for me, I don't think I've ever gotten as much line on a spool as the manufacturer says it'll hold. I don't worry about it too much.