baitcaster

pike slayer

Mike a plug-in kind of deal, usually had around 8 in the boat and used 4-5, a couple-few, spares? Easier to pick up a different rod in a tournament than spend time fixing a problem.

Different bodies of water, different tackle? On Erie I could get by with a couple medium action baitcasters, and a couple spinning reels. Didn`t really need heavier gear no flipping to speak of, no junk in the water, but with my boat weather conditions (rough) could always be a problem so the game plan could change to moving into the rivers or bays and targeting largemouth in the junk. A flipping stick is a better tool for that job, medium heavy rods, heavier line.

Inland lakes here have a lot of junk, wood, docks, weeds, just plug different rods in the boat, not a lot of call for me to use a spinning rod on an inland lake here, but usually one or to if the game plan changed and I needed to downsize baits. I would cast crappie tubes for bass if the bite was tough and a spinning rod is better suited for that.

I keep most at home in school or industrial style lockers when not in use. Some are too long, 7'6" one piece to fit in the lockers.

Some people hang in bars, tackle stores were more of an interest to me, and if I saw a deal I would buy it. I paid like 20 bucks a piece for my Shimano Convergence rods, they were on sale and I had cash? No problem for me to buy 4 or 5. Just never was to interest in 100 dollar + rods, I got one that costs over 90 and it is a special deal, a flipping stick (Falcon) designed for a spinning reel. Never had much trouble catching fish with the gear I bought, never had much of a problem with it.

Feel is the deal for me, rod don`t feel right I don`t spend money on it, bunch of different brands all felt good to me. Just busy a lot easier for me to plug in rods than take time changing line and stuff.

I guess I kind of look at the price and to me I can Jig fish with a Spinning reel, Cast Heavy plugs with a Spinning Reel, Top water with a Spinning reel and catch a Big Jack and Musky with a Spinning reel. So whats the Big advantage? I got two that I never use, even when I bassed fished.

Flippin and pitchin is done much more effectively with a baitcaster. Especially when you are pitchin to structure where you need to be accurate (sometimes you only get one shot). It is hard to accuratly pitch a spinning reel and stopping the line slowly. Not nearly as accurate and the lure will often hit the water much harder which in some situation is not beneficial. Generally speeking baitcasting reels have much smoother drag systems than spinning rods as well.

ya i realise the advantages with a baitcaster, thats why im looking to buy one. i just know what certain ones are and what i should be looking for in a rod/reel other then finding the biggest price tag for the best gear. i think im gonna keep my eyes open on ebay and get a high quality used one for a dirt cheap price. also how does the 1piece and the 2 piece really differ? does it make that much of a difference? i've broken alot of rods and reels keeping them together and leaving them in the boat and getting bunched around and a 7foot rod will not fit in the cab of my truck where i normally keep my rods and it will get smashed around in the box of my truck. the one piece just seems that much more of a hassle and is it really worth the hassle? and thanks for the links fishing33k. also i stick with the recommended line sizes and lures and such with my rod and reels, im gonna be trying that power pro and its much thinner and those guide lines are more for using the thickness of the line not the test correct?

yes thickness. so if you used 12lb mono, 50lb power pro is roughly the same diameter.

1pc rods to me, feel much more solid and offer better sensitivity. other than my really long rods (8'6"+, everything is 1 pc). you figure out a way to transport them. i have a jeep cherokee and hang them from the ceiling of it using these straps you can get at BPS.

If you are looking for an entry level baitcaster thats'decent and not so expensive I would go with the Shimano Citica200E. It is a new model for 2009 and gos for about $140 at BPS.

I just got one for my birthday from the wife and am looking forward to trying it out this year. It was recommended by friends and staff at BPS for a entry level beginner baitcaster. I used one years ago, Shimano Black Bantam but always ended up with a birdsnest.