Beaverton Perch Jan 26

turtle

Solo mission yesterday to Simcoe, just to get out. Rented a hut from Tim Hales just north of Beaverton,

6-8 inches of ice in 22 FOW. Morning was very good, started out with a flury of 8 perch (6 keepers) and a herring (released). Steady perch until 1:30 pm then slow for the rest of the day. Caught a small whitefish (22 inch) at around 1:40 pm. Ended up with 36 keepers (9-11 inch plus one 13 inch) and released over 20, including many keepers thinking the morning bite would last all day. Perch caught on smallest EBG spoon tipped with a minnow and a single minnow deadstick rod with a spring tip. Whitefish caught on the smallest jigging rap in firetiger (glad I upsized the treble hook). Maybe one perch caught on the jig, rest hit (tapped)when stopped. Two other huts had a whitefish each, both bigger than mine.

Dont want to be negative, but thats the first whitefish Ive caught in the perch grounds in well over 10 years. Having said that, the occasional whitefish and real occasional pickerel (walleye) is caught there and I think its more likely early (now) than later in the season. Years ago the whitefish I caught shallow were first seen crusing about 10 feet down and enticed with a minnow or small silver spoon. Also used to see the herring first before trying to catch them. Good luck if you go out, Scugog is much more challenging (frustrating) for me.

Turtle,

It's just as challenging for me, that's why I like to go! My fishing buddy that's going tommorrow mentioned Beaverton and perching, because it's easier, but unless the majority of the fish is between 11-13" and there is a chance to catch something else, I said I'll wait until we can get onto trying for whities!

Not that perching isn't fun, I just can't imagine myself cleaning a dozen perch for dinner. I'd like to keep a small feed for the family.

HF