State of Grand River fishery meetings

Spiel

January 15, 2009

State of Grand River fishery meeting

The results of a 10-year plan to improve the Grand River watershed fishery will be discussed at a public meeting on Jan. 21 at the head office of the Grand River Conservation Authority, 400 Clyde Rd., Cambridge.

The meeting, which will run from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. will outline the work that has been done to implement the Grand River Fisheries Management Plan and give those attending an opportunity to talk about future directions for the fishery.

Over the past 10 years the Grand River system has enjoyed a rebirth as a great place for anglers. Much of the improvement has come about as a result of the implementation of the recommendations of the plan. It was released in 1998 by the GRCA and the Ministry of Natural Resources after extensive consultation with anglers, fishing groups and residents of the Grand River watershed.

The meeting will include these presentations:

- Overview of the Grand River Fisheries Management Plan

- MNR projects in the Central Grand

- Volunteer projects in the Central Grand

- Water Quality conditions

- Management of the GRCA reservoir system

In addition to the presentations, there will be a variety of displays on fishery and environmental issues.

More information on the plan and the Grand River fishery is available in the Fisheries section of the GRCA website.

This meeting is the second in a series of five to take information to the public and gather comments on the 10th anniversary of the fishery plan.

A meeting was held in Elora on Jan. 7. Other meetings will be held in Brantford on Feb. 3, Dunnville Feb. 16 and Six Nations on March 18.

Further information: Dave Schultz, GRCA Manager of Communications

Phone: (519) 621-2763, Ext. 2273

Fax: (519) 621-4844

E-mail: [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all...I attended... and I was a little disappointed. The presentations went on too long so there was NO time for Q&A regarding how the GRCA and its partners were specifically improving the fishery in the KW, Cambridge, Paris and Brant sections. All I heard was the great work they have done on the upper section...Bellwood to West Montrose. That's fine and great...I love fishing that section but I feel that other areas of the river are passed over and the upper grand is where the main focus of improvement projects have and are taking place.

• 2 weeks later...

January 15, 2009

Dunnville public meeting on fish plan postponed.

The public meeting scheduled for Feb. 16 in Dunnville regarding the Grand River Fisheries Management Plan has been postponed due to flooding in the town.

It will be rescheduled for March.

January 15, 2009

Dunnville public meeting on fish plan postponed.

The public meeting scheduled for Feb. 16 in Dunnville regarding the Grand River Fisheries Management Plan has been postponed due to flooding in the town.

It will be rescheduled for March.

Alanis Morrisette said it well: "Isn't that ironic" :whistling: