OK I need your help again please:)

MCTFisher9120

I am leaning towards a career in conservation/fish and wildlife. With the knowledge that i am able to send applications to 5 different courses i am going to take the opportunity and do just that. The course i KNOW I’m going to apply for is the Fish & Wildlife Technology program at Fleming College. What other college courses have some of you recommend towards the path I’m trying to take.(Ontario Colleges Only) And please share your experiences likes/dislikes of the course you have taken or have strong info about.

Foresty or EM/ET at fleming are also good courses in the environmental field. Check out Sault College. The have a bunch of out door courses as well. When i went through this applying thing there were some stuff through algonquin college as well that i thought would be insteresting. So check out those guys as well.

I think Fleming now has a progarm agreement with trent. 2 years of college and 2 years of uni gets you your Bachlors of Science and a diploma from the college. It's a deadly combo you can do in very little time. Definatly something i think you should look into if you want this sort of field. Enviro rehad, and assessment is where a lot of jobs are. Keep an open mind about this stuff.

-R-

im curently in the fish and wildlife conservation tech. program at sault college. so far im loving the program, learning lots and having fun at the same time. the program is a lot harder then i thought it would be. learning latin names for every dang thing in the world hah. but once u get the hang of it its not so bad.

plus the areas that we do our reserch in are amazing! and not far from the school. ive had experiences so far working with many differnt animals like elk, that have been recintly introduced into the area. working a deer check station along side the MNR. i have even worked with some endangerd species like the wood turtle, tracking and monitering their movments. i would definatly recomend that you apply here as you wont regret it.

and the fishin is amazing up here! anything you want to fish for is avalible in large quantities!! haha

feel free to PM me with questions

Matt

I just wanted to jump in here and say that Mike's last two posts regarding his education were nothing short of inspirational for the replies that they generated.

You guys are awesome.

Jim

Yes it was. I was really glad to hear all of the stories and info you all gave to me. But now i have the option to apply to 5 different courses so i want to be making the best decisions possible.

Foresty or EM/ET at fleming are also good courses in the environmental field.

I think Fleming now has a progarm agreement with trent. 2 years of college and 2 years of uni gets you your Bachlors of Science and a diploma from the college. It's a deadly combo you can do in very little time. Definatly something i think you should look into if you want this sort of field. Enviro rehad, and assessment is where a lot of jobs are. Keep an open mind about this stuff.

-R-

Ramble On is right about the trent/fleming deal. Its a killer combo.

The Trent/Fleming agreement is a good one....one of the best college/university partnerships around IMHO.

I teach at the Haliburton campus of Fleming college. My advice is going to be more general. Look at programs that give you the most options. One of the main reasons to go to college or university is not so much the specific knowledge you will gain, but to immerse yourself in the 'culture' of your area of interest: the people, language, and possibilities that make up that field. You will learn a ton about the field just by being exposed to that 'culture'...open yourself up to it.

You seem to have an idea of what you want to do....ask yourself the question "why do I want to do that?"....lifestyle (being outdoors)?....commitment to enforcment/preservation of the resource?....love of nature?....love of applied science? Each one of those answers can lead to other paths.

For example, if you are pursuing fish/wildlife because of the lifestyle - being outdoors, interacting with other like-minded outdoors people - then another career option might be tourism. Really interesting things are happening in the traditional hunt/fish camps as they broaden their customer base. A great program for that is the Algonquin College Naturalist Adventure program.

Good luck!

Well the 2 big ones for the F&W route are definitly Fleming and Sault College. With my experiance from the Sault College F&W program, there are definitly some questionable courses in there (pikeie you'll find out when you take software, 2 math classes, 2 english classes, resource sampling and carrer mngmt). Both the colleges have a great rep from employers for the most part, and you'll probably learn exactly the same stuff.

The big difference is going to be the teachers. I know you can do the campus tours at Sault College anytime, and during your March break you should book a tour of BOTH colleges and pick the one thats best for you. And its still going to be winter here so bring your ice fishing gear (another + for the Soo).

And make sure you tour the Sault College Reformatory, sorry I mean Residence. Sometimes you'll love it, sometimes when its 3am on a weekday you wont.

Sault College Likes + Dislikes

-Have to collect samples for next weeks class = class trip to go ice fishing :w00t:

-Teachers will bend over backwards for you if you need help

-2 field camps -first year your at two locations where you do conifer ID, allot of compassing and chaining for accuracy, canoing, boating. Second half is the Firecamp, which has allot of pump/hose stuff, basicly a mini S100. Also do some chainsawing.

-Second year you do allot of wetland stuff, netting, mapping, ect

DISLIKES:

-Some of the courses arnt relevant (math program delt with highschool stuff, and not once did the word tree come up. English was a joke, I learned more in grade 8. Software for fish and wildlife delt with mostly powerpoint and excel, resource sampling was good for about 3 weeks, then it delt with excel, career management was also a joke but there were some good points made)

-Theres nothing to do in the Soo other than fish or hunt, but you cant do that everyday, well ya can, but theres gota be something else.

I don’t want to rain on your parade but, I went to Sir Sandfordflemming I don’t have a bad thing to say about the school or the teachers. I still fish with my best friend that I met at school, I took Aquaculture, but now I’m a electrician because I wanted to afford to move out of my parents basement. I love the outdoors but you have to look at what opportunities exist.

My best bud went to Sault College for Fish/Wildlife, along with a couple other friends.

He loved it.

#1 It was a fun course in the northern environment because a lot of it is done outdoors

#2 It was about half the price of attending SSFC

#3 He had two contract MNR jobs back-to-back directly out of college, I guess there is slightly more demand in the north.

Now he's not doing the MNR thing but he still lives up there and loves it to death. And only speaks good things of the course he took up there.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

my sister took an environmental restoration program at niagara college (i believe). i dont know the prerequisites to get into it. she did it after getting her bachelor of science, biology from york. she works for halton conservation authority now and is outdoors most of the year (weather permitting...mostly)

I know applying to college programs is expensive, but I say apply to all 5 of the programs that interest you. It gives you more time to make up your mind, and you won't regret pay a little more to keep all your options open a little longer.

Education is the best lottery ticket you can buy!

As I posted in the other thread, I am in the GIS ( Geographic Information Systems ) program at fleming. I enjoy this program and knew I would enjoy it before I came into it. It took me a long time to figure out what program I wanted to get into but when I figured it out, I made the right choice. I love maps, creating them, reading them, and all the digital background stuff I never knew about before. I would suggest looking into the fleming GIS program at least as one of your alternates. It is not something involving fish or wildlife specifically, but worth looking into. Every field in natural resources uses GIS these days.

see:

http://www.flemingc.on.ca/index.cfm/go/pro...lay/code/GC.cfm <-- email with questions to: [email protected]

http://www.geomaticsatfleming.ca/ < --- 2 year program

http://www.esri.com/ <-- leading GIS company

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_information_system < -- wiki page

http://www.gis.com/ <--- I have no idea about the page but it looks cool

ch-ch-check it out.

James