Canadian Power And Sail Courses

POLLIWOGG

The descriptions on the site are a little vague. Do we actually get to operate a vessel of any sorts?

This isn't just a more complex version of the pleasure craft operators license is it?

Which course would you reccomend?

Sinker

The descriptions on the site are a little vague. Do we actually get to operate a vessel of any sorts?

This isn't just a more complex version of the pleasure craft operators license is it?

Which course would you reccomend?

Sinker

The boating licence one is for your pleasure craft operators card. I dont see the point of an advanced course if your not doing hardcore boating stuff.

Well, that's the impression I get from reading the course outline on the website. There's gotta be more to it, no? I wouldn't mind taking a course if I'm actually going to learn something new. The boaters license is a joke IMO.

Is the boaters license considered a pre requisite for a more advanced course?

I should just call I guess. :)

Sinker

Well, that's the impression I get from reading the course outline on the website. There's gotta be more to it, no? I wouldn't mind taking a course if I'm actually going to learn something new. The boaters license is a joke IMO.

Is the boaters license considered a pre requisite for a more advanced course?

I should just call I guess. :)

Sinker

No the card is not a prequisite as you said it is a joke

They run outstanding courses

Was going to take celestial nav this year but wasnt offered in my local

Anyway it is worth the money and knowledge is always a good thing

The place to start would be with the basic boating course, it has changed since I did mine but its usually 12 nights starts with types of boats, power boat handling, sail boat handling, Gov. regs, charts, aids to nav., some plotting and calculations, compass ,bearings,fixes,seamanship and emergencies, lines, canals and tides,anchoring, weather. Probably something like 3-4 hrs a night + homework.

Half way through this course you write for an operators card thats good here and in most of the U.S. and at the end of the course you get to write a nice big test that will have you thinking for sure. From this course you can go into the more advanced courses or you can go directly into some of the advanced courses.

Talk is that they might raise the prices of the courses to reflect the value more so now is the time to take them. There is a lot of value in the CPS courses because its done as non profit by volunteers and they are not easy, you will learn something and get benefits of free membership for a year.

The Boat Pro course is the one if you just want to get your card. It was originally the Squadrons Kid's course but rather than start up a dumbed down version for the card we use it. Its usually 2 nights and you'll learn more than you need to pass the test.

We don't do much hands on training because the courses are usually off season, done by volunteers who are out in their own boats in the summer, but I have heard that there are some outfits doing hands on training in the Kawarthas.

The Canadian Power And Sail Squadrons are volunteers teaching safe boating for over 50 years. Your local squadron is made up of people you Know and they are hungry for new members and more so for active members, most of us here would have a lot of fun in their local squadron.

Biteme--- I suspect your a bridge member of your squadron? If not , if you let them know you want to do the course and they get a few more they will try to run it , if not they might try to run one with another squadron or at least let you know who is running one. I don't think we have ever done celestial here but I have a guy that can and would love to instruct it if we could get a class together..

The celestial sounds like an interesting course for sure. I know my grandfather does a lot of navigation this way.....and landmarks when he can see shore. Its a different game once you get into the high seas....

I'm going to call and ask about these courses. I've always wanted to do something like this,and I'm sure its a great experience at the very least.

Thanks for the heads up!

Sinker