musky cradles

cram

I was given a musky cradle as an xmas gift and am kind of confused by it. There is only one plane of mesh, if that makes sense. The mesh between the handle bars but no mesh at either end to cap it. Looks like a fish could swim out either end unless held tight in the cradle.....

Anyone have a musky cradle? If so, is yours capped at either end? (if htat makes sense)

I bought a replacement net and cut it in half to cap one end of both mine and my brother's cradles. I used fireline to sew it with. I lost a ski in the mid 30's (inches not pounds) because my bucktail got snagged in the mesh and the fish continued on and out through the other end. Now that one end is blocked I've landed a 48" & 49" with the new and improved cradle.

Was yours uncapped at both ends? I wonder why its un-capped.....?

You're supposed to train your Musky to swim into the cradle and STAY while he's on the hook!!!

A well behaved Musky is an asset to any fishin' trip!... an ill mannered Musky... not so good. :wallbash:

Edited by GCD

Ya you need to remedy that before you use it. What you currently own is more like a "hammick" then a "cradle". Fashion some ends onto the bad boy and you'll be in buisness. I would reccomend capping both ends. Good luck.

-Dave

Ya you need to remedy that before you use it. What you currently own is more like a "hammick" then a "cradle". Fashion some ends onto the bad boy and you'll be in buisness. I would reccomend capping both ends. Good luck.

-Dave

That's exactly what it is. (a hammock).

Why would someone make/sell something like that?

-Dave

I'm pretty sure they sell those Musky hammock end caps at Basspro!

I bought the Frebil one as it has mesh on one end and also a very nice measuring tape in BIG numbers I only have used it for tired musky so that they can lay in it nice and calm if I think they are gonna take a long time to revive and I am by myself it sure does come in handy for that application.

Guest steel'n'esox

Had a luckystrike given to me that was capped at both ends, hooks got caught in the mesh on the first fish I tried it on, never used it again, bought the frabill big kahuna, if needed but usually release at boat without bringing fish out of water,by the way I did remove one of the caps

cradles arn't your typical net by a long shot. Different movments are required to put the fish in it. Those Big Kahuna's are nice if you have room for them. The cradles are pretty much impossible if you are by yourself.....matter of fact i might go so far as to say it would take an act of god to get a thrashing essox into a cradle alone.

Still you definatly need at least one end on it. I like 2 ends. Thats how i learned to use them and they have saved me many a fish. I have had a lot of pike try some neat stunts and end up "backwards" in teh cradle. If i had 1 end they would have been gone. Nets in the mesh are a MASSIVE pain in the :asshat: . There is a trick or 2 to help with that so that you dont loose the fish as the head passes the mesh. Anyway, i could carry on.

I'll talk to you later.

-R-

matter of fact i might go so far as to say it would take an act of god to get a thrashing essox into a cradle alone.

-R-

That's where a well trained and obedient Musky comes in very handy!!!

Put pontoons on your capped Musky cradle and make them jump over to land in it!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Edited by GCD