Dec. 21st in Muskoka

johnnyb

Well, I finally got to go up to the lake I've been trying to hit for first ice -- a lake which produces walleye all year long, but has yet to reward me with one through the ice. If not for my trip to Cuba a couple weeks back, I think I would have been walking on 3-4 inches of nice clear ice, over 7-8 FOW. Instead, I got up there after 2.5 feet of snow had fallen. Luckily, the minus 25C nights turned what would have been a slushy mess into about 8 inches of frozen slush and 3-4 inches of solid clear stuff underneath.

After losing a couple pounds of sweat shovelling the roof on Sunday morning, my lovely wife and I headed out around 2:00pm, brimming with confidence, hoping to be ready for the sundown walleye bite, and finally get my first walleye through the ice. No live bait, but an assortment of jigs and spoons had us eagerly setting up over the last spot I caught walleye in the fall.

Jessy was using a cheap spoon (imitation tingler) in a rainbow pattern, pretty much swinging it back and forth when she nailed this fat little perch. :thumbsup_anim:

n595006200_2219952_9363.jpg

She went away to warm up, because the snow was soaking through her jacket and chilling her. I suppose she thought her work was done, because, she never came back :sleeping_02:

I stuck around, checking out the local wildlife...from a distance :D

n595006200_2219953_9591.jpg

As it started to get dark, I actually had two quick and ridiculously light bites -- but missed 'em :wallbash: Could these have been the walleye I've been looking for? Who knows...but...by the end of this winter, I will have one on my side of the ice! 'Till next time....

n595006200_2219954_9806.jpg

Good point GCD...I'm just trying to strike the right balance between when I start catching them, and she gets cold enough to leave :D Truth be told, she has a better jacket...she just didn't think she'd need it. And I didn't think I'd miss two fish in five minutes! :wallbash:

Was just letting you now it's safe... in the bay at least.. further out probably getting close, if you went for one of your "drives" and wanted to fish. You know where to get on the ice road... it goes to my dock and the island across from me. If you go over to the Island and talk to Doug, he can probably tell you what the ice is like further out. They're living there full time now and he's the new "keeper of the road". We had as service for Walter Bowen yesterday.. the old keeper of the road.

Edited by irishfield

The sad truth is that we'll probably wait until the trout season is open...but if we start to see lots of whitefish reports...well...maybe we'll head up anyway. Are there many whities caught in your bay? What about the Lake Access road just before town....where the boat launch is? Isn't there another ice road there?

Probably starting to drive to Bear Island... and you can fish out there... but yes there are lakers/ whities in our bay.. it is 32 to 42 feet deep and there is a hole out from TShores dock that is 50/55. Usually that ice hut right out from my airplane dock fishing for whities.. it won't be there this year though as they sold their cottage.