Ice Fishing Equipment

dobber1978

0788060_450_CC_b64e.jpg

0788371_450_CC_519cb.jpg

Heading out ice fishing for the first time of the season, well first time in a long time,

Looking for a little advice, I want to purchse a couple rod/reel combos for ice fishing and want to know which ones are best, I have been looking on the canadian tire website and they have a few different kinds. The first is an open bail style, basicall looks like a mini fishing rod, the other is more like a bait caster style that mostly looks like plastic construction. I have only really used a spool of line and tip up before so I am trying to upgrade,

For lures, as I don't know if we will be able to find live bait, what is good for Pike, Pickeral, and lake trout, any suggestions???

Thanks all

Jeff

Edited by dobber1978

I bought all my rods and reel combos from Tall Tales in Cambridge and Walmart. I found CTC stuff is junk, spend a few bucks and get good quality rod and reel combos. Lures tipped with a minnow is good, jigs and berkley baits tipped with a minnow is good and sometimes just a simple drop line with a hook and minnow are needed. I do suggest you buy the best quality you can afford cause it sux losing a decent fish because your equipment is less than standard, such as the first photo and even the qualitity of the second one...I dunno...something about a company called Sub-Zero....naaa no good. Good luck.

When I went ice fishing up in Thunder Bay over the holidays I picked up a couple basic rod/reals spooled with 6lb mono and some glowing jigs and a couple rattle spoons for about $75 all in. We got out on the ice and did all right but next to us were guys pulling walleye after walleye out and their equipment: 6lb line tied to a twig embedded in the ice and a single treble hook tipped with a minnow so you never know :)

(actually the also had jigging rods like us going and weren't doing any better than us with that equipment - the simplest presentation won that day)