Hey Pinners...

kemper

Im looking to get some nice wooden handles for my new reel that I just picked up. Its a Raven Vectra SST3, and it is a beautiful reel that just doesnt look right with those stupid plastic handles.

Is there anywhere I can order some nice wooden ones from? Or am I going to have to spin them myself...which I could do but I dont really want to.

thanks all

If you make them yourself, check out Lee Valley wood selection. They sell a lot of exotic woods for making pens and other stuff. Saw a nice 1"x1"x6" block on Saturday there, Purple Heartwood or something like that . They also sell Zebrawood and some colored laminates all ready for turning. Nice thing is you don't have to buy a big chunk just to do handles

well chicks really dig those wooden handles.... :rolleyes:

I'd just by buy a pc of wooden doweling, cut it to size, drill a hole in the centre and then sand it to shape. Could always stain it too.

I've got the SST3 too and have been satisfied with its performance... even after bouncing it off a rock from 4ft in the air.

You'll have to show us a pic of the final product.

well chicks really dig those wooden handles.... :rolleyes:

I'd just by buy a pc of wooden doweling, cut it to size, drill a hole in the centre and then sand it to shape. Could always stain it too.

I've got the SST3 too and have been satisfied with its performance... even after bouncing it off a rock from 4ft in the air.

You'll have to show us a pic of the final product.

Feels like a really nice reel, I havent had a chance to give it a run on some steel yet but the neighbours cat was creepin around my backyard yesterday and well, it fell to a mouse pattern (sans hook). Seems like a great reel! Really smooth when it ran!

If you have easy access to an Islander float reel, compare it's handles with the one you want to upgrade.

Islander sells rosewood handles for their reels. They're readily available either direct from Islander in BC, or a local retailer that carries the reels. Not overly expensive either.

Worst case scenario you might have to drill out the centre hole to enlarge it. If you're really lucky you won't have to do anything.

Beyond that Tom at Angling Specialties has handles that he can customize to fit your reel, but you'd likely be paying a lot more.

If you have easy access to an Islander float reel, compare it's handles with the one you want to upgrade.

Islander sells rosewood handles for their reels. They're readily available either direct from Islander in BC, or a local retailer that carries the reels. Not overly expensive either.

Worst case scenario you might have to drill out the centre hole to enlarge it. If you're really lucky you won't have to do anything.

Beyond that Tom at Angling Specialties has handles that he can customize to fit your reel, but you'd likely be paying a lot more.

Thanks Mike,

Dave (JDMLS) runs an islander, Ill have a look next time we get out. Im sure he wouldnt mind if I removed a handle mid drift to check it out :whistling:

I think I might give it a run and make my own as well, something new that you dont see every day. I gotta switch up the handle on my fly reel anyways because it sucks, so extra handles might not be a bad thing

Im sure he wouldnt mind if I removed a handle mid drift to check it out :whistling:

Sure, then I'll go hardcore and jam my finger in one of the little holes to fight my fish :rolleyes: Or I could do like Chuck Norris taught me one time at Oshawa, and just stare down the steel until it beaches itself out of fear !!!

Edited by JDMLS

Sure, then I'll go hardcore and jam my finger in one of the little holes to fight my fish :rolleyes: Or I could do like Chuck Norris taught me one time at Oshawa, and just stare down the steel until it beaches itself out of fear !!!

I know it can be confusing, especially when you are fishing at Oshawa... but crackheads are the ones on the path, and steelheads are the ones in the water bud.

Please stop staring down the local wildlife, they dont like it :stretcher:

By the way, I nearly drown myself pulling a shopping cart out of that run under the tree last time I was out. There is NO WAY im letting that hole get ruined, its too good to me.

I bought an Islander Steelheader a few years back at Angling Outfitters in Woodstock and had rosewood handles put on right then. Definitely nice lookin handles. Perhaps if you called them they may have some they could ship to you. No idea what the cost was.

IslanderSteelheader.jpg