Jumping Caribou Lake?

JMahon

Remember that Lakers will be closed...

..and like solo said I've been told it's a tough lake. I'll dig through my aerial shots... think I have a pictures of some or most of it. Might help pic out shoals.

Safe ice is also going to be a factor for early January. Just off the phone with a bud in Temagami... 2 inches of ice... 2 FEET of snow !

Edited by irishfield

My group went there last year and stayed at the only lodge on the lake, no impressed at all!! We decided to try this lake after many year at nippissing(needed a change). We were in a small bay and the fishing was terrible. We tried everything possiable. Only managed a few herring and a few whitefish and a few perch. Asked the guy that set us up to make some holes around and he refused("too much work")he replied. Was not willing to help us get on fish and we were the only peaple on the lake the whole weekend!! He had no other clients. If you are going to stay mobile and you can get around then I say yes go for it, but if your going to stay with the outfitter I say forget it and get your money and go elsewhere. He sets up his huts in eye view of his lodge and he will not go any further out. It's your call but I know we will never go there again!!

Good Luck!

Too bad you didnt enjoy your stay rangervs.

I remember back some years ago,pop and a bunch of boys from his work,went up there 2 years in a row,and did very well. They were guided and caught some great fish.

Guess after the years it has gone down hill.

I still have a great pic in my memory of the livewell they built in the ice to keep thier fish alive for the day.

Yes, we are staying at the lodge. Father in law invited me to go...i guess they have a mini tourney..kind of a fundraiser for our local Kinsmen club.. so I thought i'd check it out! That sucks the fishing/outfitter was so horrible for you...I hope it's not that bad this year. BUT....I'm definately bringing my own auger & my portable, so I can at least move around a bit! And since I didn't know the name of the lake until yesterday...it really sucks to find out that lakers are closed when i'll be there!

Does anyone have, or know where I can get a hydrographic map of the lake? At least then I'll have an idea of where i should start fishing! Thanks for the replies

Every lake in Zone 11... except the stocked lakes in the exemptions.. only have a Feb 15 to Mar 15 Laker season now in the winter. Based on last years info... it's sure kicked what was left out of the near north winter economy.

You should be able to get a map at Gramps at Angus Lake... just a bit up the road from JCaribou. If he doesn't have it you can scoot into Temagami to Dad's.. Jim has it. I have one... but it's in the dining room hutch drawer at the lake unfortunately. You can buy it from http://www.adventurefishingmaps.on.ca/no1.htm

Jmahon if u would like to send me a message on occasion for some updates on ice conditions let me know i'm in north bay which is about 80km south of temagami as the crow flies have had some luck on jumpin bou before and as for the ice we got a good stroke of luck this past weekend with rain and warm weather it melted the snow on the ice and froze it up pretty darn stiff the lakes looked like rinks when i was out fishing yesterday and i have one of the temagami area maps and as wayne said only opens feb 15th as well as speckle trout and if u are chasing specks instead remember only one over 12.1 inches (yes very sad)

Matt

I stayed at that same and the only lodge on that lake. No luck. Food was great though and Joe is a very nice guy. But I have a feeling that the lake was fished very hard over the years and has not been able to replenish itself. Good luck and let us know how you did.

Rob C

Well I just found out the other night that were gonna have an open bar all day everyday that were there...I guess our little tourney has some sponsors, one of which is Sleemans. Were also having a poker tourney & an air hockey tourney...so even if the fishing does suck, I'm sure it'll be a good time! But like I said before, I'm bringing my portable, my own auger, & my flasher unit...so I can venture off from the rest of the pack in search of fish! I'll definately post a report when we get back, & hopefully there will even be a fish or two in it! LOL Thanks for all the replies, keep 'em commin if you got'em!