R.I.P. Pit Martin

solopaddler

I'm guessing that a lot of you guys have heard the story of Pit's accident already, but it kind of hits close to home for me.

A former NHL great, he fell through the ice on his snowmobile and drowned on Sunday.

Pit lived on a water access island by himself on the lake my camp is on in QC.

It was my buddy Mike who was behind him on his machine who saw the accident happen and reported it.

Mike emailed me last night to tell me which was how I found out.

Over the years I'd gotten to know Pit fairly well, fished with him, and drank with him on occasion. He was an amazing character with a true love of life.

Always had a huge stogy sticking out of his mouth and a big smile on his face.

I'm old enough to remember how incredible he was as a player especially for the Hawks with Jim Pappin as his center.

Rick was very right with his post about putting things in perspective.

Pit was only 64, but a lively and vibrant 64 and looked years younger. Definitely a shock to see him pass, especially this way.

R.I.P. Pit, you'll be missed!

I vaguely Remember the good ole days of old Hockey. Pit Martin, Pat Stapleton, Keith Magnuson, Jim Papin, and of course Bobby Hull are the names I recall as a little Boy growing up when the Habs played Run and Gun Hockey. I seem to remember that Pit Martin was not that big in stature, but like Ivan Cournoyer, very fast. I could be wrong but thats what I seem to remember reference reading his Hockey card. way back.

Edited by holdfast