ice auger purchase

waterwolf

just visited can tire and noticed a huge difference in price between 2 ice cutters . the sub zero machine comes in at $299.00 and the competitor,, strike master , rests at well over $400. . anyone know of this sub-zero machine? neglect the obvious or is something worth looking into?

Buy a 3hp jiffy and you'll never have to buy anything else, I've had mine over 25yrs it's a workhorse one or two pull machine. I've blown up 2hp machines drilling in warm weather but the 3hp goes on forever. Sure some of the competitors are faster with all kinds of bells whistles but the old 3hp never lets me down no matter how cold or how deep the ice is and the thing will probably out last me.

we have an old ice auger from given to use from a guy near bancroft this thing has been through hell and back a time or two. I've never seen another auger as beat up as this poor thing, and it'll still happily rip holes through the ice. It's an old Jiffy auger we've had it for at least 5 years and if we ever need another one, i know what i'll be shopping for.

-R-

most days i don't mind cuttin' holes by hand , but when the ice thickens in jan. and feb. , it just becomes a lot work . my fishin' bud has a jiffy [great machine] i was just wandering if the money saved is worth it in the long haul when you're talking reliabity .

my daughter has been telling for last couple of years to get one ,but would that be admitting the obvious , i'm getting tired and lazy?? na,,, i'll just keep tellin' myself it'll cut down my set-up time that's all, no admittion here.

appreciate the feed-back guys.

JIFFY!! I've had a 8" Jiffy for the past 12 yrs going on 13....hasn't let me down once!..

I keep it well maintained and off I go!

as for a manual auger ..Fin_Bore III all the way!

and for ice under 4" Ice Chisel from Canadian Tire.

Be safe out on the hard stuff and wear a floater :Gonefishing: :Gonefishing:

RFS :canadian:

Strikemaster Mag2000 with an 8" blade.I bought mine last year from BPS on sale for $299.99.I had it out last year with a few friends that own Jiffy's and they said that the Strike master started faster and easier(decompression lever)and cut faster.It's also alot lighter than the Jiffy'Like Sonny said they are in Bps flyer.If you buy one you will not regret it.

Just my 2cents

Dan

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...&storeID=11

I picked the auger up myself...the night before the sale started. That works great at CTC it seems...

Crankbaits picked up the Frabil Trekker for me in GananaQ.. and dropped it at my mothers in Smiths Falls. Haven't seen a post from him since spring

Edited by irishfield

I have the strike master 2 hrs...8 inch, its been runnin for 3 years now and purrs like a kitten, you get 63 holes per tank at 10-15 inches.

I have a friend that has the jiffy 10 inch, he loves it and so do i, it is so funny to see him put his own foot down the hole, thats the only problem with a ten inch hole, i have 12 inch boot and my leg has gone down the 10 inch hole a few times.

Rp

I have a Strikemaster 2 hp 49cc+ had it for over fifteen years and never had a problem at all with it other than changed the blades last year cut probably way over a thousand holes with it over the years and used to use it in northern quebec where the motor was touching the ice and was barely getting through 30"+ of ice. Would definatly buy another one if I ever had to.

I also find using synthetic 2 stroke oil is way better, smoother idle less smoke and its probably better for the motor as well.

Niagarafisher

i remember some turbulance in the rush for guys to get their hands on this machine . sorry , thought you were the recipient of ones good intension. that sounds more familiar . do you remember something like a guy grabbed the auger [he already bought one for himself] ,then drove an hour or so and delivered it to someone in who couldn't get out to get it without charge other than the cost of the auger??

that's someone who believes in their machine.

Edited by waterwolf

• 3 weeks later...