Closer on the Kawartha Muskie

Ron

Firstly, I have to apologize for no pictures, it was teaming down so hard with rain, I was not about to take my camera out.

Fishing with Jason Borwick (MNR Biologist) has always been a great way to fill a day. We made plans to fish Muskie for our grand finale on the Kawarthas, after all it closes on the 15th.

This is the first time I have enjoyed this lake, it will definitely, not be my last!

On the water by 8, we were totally soaked by the end of the day. Good thing we were prepared for the situation at hand.

Jason seems to be catching on to this muskie stuff rather well. At our first spot, I am more than half way on my retrieve when I see a follow, Jason yells,”There’s one!” I reply “you saw em too?” “NO” he says, “I got one on!” Great start to the morning, almost a double header! Not a big fish at 35” but still a Muskie! On the same weed line we produce 2 more follows before going to a different location down the Lake.

Jason seems to know this lake fairly well, we get out to the middle of a bay and start casting the clumps of lively green weeds . We got a follow and then Jason tells me the weed line is behind the boat. I do a long bomb and on my 2nd jerk, I tangle into my first Sturgeon Lake Muskie, 36” on the nose! With only one more follow and working the area hard we opt to move to another location. Asking Jason where the next location is, says it’s only a short distance away. I suggest we troll as you never know if there is fish between where we are and where we are going. Good choice as it were. Jason hooks into another 37” on a %^%$ Believer! (Man I hate them Believers).

Our 3rd and final spot for the day proved to be the “money maker”. This is an area where Jason says he does fairly well early in the season but hasn’t produced in the past while. With Jason tossing a M&G spinner and me with a Sledge, we managed 5 more in the boat!

Non of these fish were large fish, (39, 37, 36, 36, 35, 34, 30, 30) but still an awesome way to end the season. What better friends can you have than your fishing friends!