Waders - breathable vs. neoprene

dp3200

What are peoples thoughts on neoprene vs. breathable for waders? Based on the reports, it looks like breathables are preferred, but what about in the winter? Is a pair of fleece pants enough under breathables to keep warm?

Personally I have always used neoprenes. I never fish in the summer months and I've always found 5mm of neoprene nice in the cold waters of the eastern tribs. Now that mine are leaking I've been considering a pair of breathables. My main concern with them is a)keeping warm and B) durability.

I know there is a big price difference between the two, but I buy a pair every 10 years, so I'm not too worried about $200 for breathables instead of the $100 for neoprenes.

I used neoprene waders for years. Pain to get on and off and you sweat like a pig in milder weather. Bought a pair of breathables last year (way more comfortable)...fished 3-4 times a week all winter...no problem. Polypropylene socks and underwear in extreme temps and in milder weather you can go commando. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by verminator

I've got breathables and even with long underwear and double wool socks I found myself going a bit numb fishing the rivers in October (wading up to my waist at all times). That said they're great for every other time of the year but I think next season I'm going to have both available.

Simms Rivertech breathables at BPS for 50% off..Regular $399 on sale for $199..Simms has discontinued them and due to this BPS doesn't know any better so they put them on clearance... They have 3 or 4 pairs left ... 1 small , 1 large king , and 2 or 3 XXL .... They had 2 large Kings but I changed that ;)

You should be in your car driving there right now as these waders are the cats AZZ for $200 .... For a reality check, you can go try on their White River Breathables, :D :D and see what $79 gets you !!!

Edited by JDMLS

I switched to breathables a long time ago, and have no issues with cold. My only beef with them is that they are not as durable - but since I fish late into the spring with them, I'm happy compromising durability and a bit of cash for comfort and ease of use.

They also dry a lot faster, inside and out. That's a big plus in most conditions.

p.-