3D View GPS and side scan sonar

Wild

3D View GPS for above and below the water and it's a road unit as well !Garmin has an interesting unit coming out in 2009 and I am thinking about pulling the trigger on this one if it gives me an edge on defining structure. Technology is making GPS more interesting all the time.

Garmin GPS Map 620

New sonar is also on the shopping list, while I have had Eagle products in the past Humminbird sidescan technology has my interest

Humminbird 1197 Sidescan Sonar

Thoughts on pros and cons?

I got an interphase pc view last fall that scans and hooks up to a laptop. my biggest problem was not having time to learn how to use it. It took a while to get it up and running due to conflicts with the gps and touchscreen but the guys at interphase got me sorted out. I haven't fished deeper than 18 feet since I got it working so I haven't had a chance to see what it can really do. I'm hoping to take a run to BOQ and try it there before I pickle the boat.

I got the Garmin Blue Vision chip in mine and I don't use the 3D at all just keep it on the regular setting, basically use it to find the general area and then it's the depth finder that I look at because it will be more accurate then the 3D view, the 3D view will follow the gps contours witch as you know are somewhat off compared to whats really under the water, the depth finder is 100% accurate. It's cool to look at, that's about all though, haven't tried the side views yet.

I got an interphase pc view last fall that scans and hooks up to a laptop. my biggest problem was not having time to learn how to use it. It took a while to get it up and running due to conflicts with the gps and touchscreen but the guys at interphase got me sorted out. I haven't fished deeper than 18 feet since I got it working so I haven't had a chance to see what it can really do. I'm hoping to take a run to BOQ and try it there before I pickle the boat.

I am going to look at the interphase sounds interesting Polliwogg can it record video onto the drive for reviewing later on?

I got the Garmin Blue Vision chip in mine and I don't use the 3D at all just keep it on the regular setting, basically use it to find the general area and then it's the depth finder that I look at because it will be more accurate then the 3D view, the 3D view will follow the gps contours witch as you know are somewhat off compared to whats really under the water, the depth finder is 100% accurate. It's cool to look at, that's about all though, haven't tried the side views yet.

What unit do you have John? Reading up about the sidescan technology and looking at the submissions it can define all types of structures rather well plus a wide area can be looked at in far less time.

I'm not sure if the Humminbird technology is for you... it's built by Rednecks (here in Alabama) for Rednecks!!! ;)

All I've ever owned is Humminbird products and they serve me well! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

... and in reality, all the major are good products!... It's just whatever you get used to. :)

OK OK Dawg you can come up and operate it next summer as we search for those monster trophies!

The Humminbird Sidescan technology really has something over Lowrance. It's transom mount sidescan transducer that they got a patent on is what separates Hummingbird from ALL other 2D sonar units.

If Lowrance could get around that patent you could bet your last nightcrawler they would have a sidescan unit on the market. You have to take a look at this post all the way down until you see member "Doug Vahrenberg" post the pictures from his sidescan unit. This is UNBELIEVABLE pictures to use while you are on the water and I'm a FULL TIME Lowrance guy......... CHECK THIS OUT.......

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/...-final-decision