About to go for my Non-restricted

Mattones

I am taking my Non-restricted course this coming weekend and am a bit worried about it as i know Nothing about guns and would rather study before hand. The guy in my Hunting class this past weekend said he found the 'book' or what ever off the internet and just took the test one on one. I have tried to look for it online but with no luck.

Anyone have any idea on where i can find stuff which may be on the test to read up on? I may have found the topics covered but not sure.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/safety-surete/safety_course_e.asp

May sound sad I know but i would rather get a head start :canadian:

Edited by Mattones

Finding a book would help but this is all common sense.

Muzzle control is highest importance---do not point at anything you do not wish to shoot

the rest is rules--no loaded guns on roadways---in vehicles--motorized boats

Unload your gun when crossing a fence, creek, ditch etc. where you may slip

Know your big game animals and migratory birds

Unload and open your gun if handing your weapon to anyone

Now these are the rules for us---I beleive the streets of Toronto has it's own set.

Be safe and SMART and one day you will have a photo album of these

Open the action of the gun & visually check the barrel for an "obstruction" whenever you are handed a gun..even when crossing a fence.

Read the caliber of the shell / cartridge.

Put trigger lock on when done for the day & putting it away in a case.

Check that the safety works on the gun before you load it.

Know archery stuff..minimum poundage for deer or moose.

Be self-confident & act professional.

No joking around with others.

Edited by danbo

Hey mattones, I have a recent copy of the Canadian Firearms Safety Course Student Handbook which is likely the one that you will be using.

If you are near Ajax, I will lend it to you.

Send me a P.M. and we can chat.

Stan

Burlington is a bit aways:( dang

iv been looking all voer for the online book with no luck. I guess i can try and read up as much as i can on the smaller stuff and hope its somewhat related to the test <_<

Put trigger lock on when done for the day & putting it away in a case.

its good practice to use a trigger lock when transporting but there are a couple problems with them.

1)they can trap moisture between the lock and the trigger guard causing rust.

2)they are a pain if you have a bunch of guns and you grab the wrong key on your way out.

3)the master lock keyed ones can be pried open with just your fingers.

if you dont have a safe or cabinet to store your firearms (where they dont need to be trigger locked), and to be legal, the firearm must be deemed inoperable. a much better option than using a trigger lock is to remove the bolt, forend from pump actions, or use a cable lock.

when using a case, be sure the gun and case are 100% dry before storing or rust will occur rather quickly.

just pay attention if you are taking the course or study your book and talk to experienced people before challenging the exam. point the gun in an unsafe direction when doing your practical and you fail right away. handle the firearms as much as possible before the exam to be familiar with them as you need to know how to check, load, and unload guns.