netting whitefish

pike slayer

hey guys! i'd like to get in on some netting whitefish. i heard its pretty much a hit or miss. my buddy has a camp by aubery falls and theres a place called black creek down the road and i hear its awesome for whitefish. when is the best time? i heard right when ice starts to form? would a smelt net do the trick? ive only caught whitefish accidently going for lakers and pike. would like some info! thanks

About twenty years ago we used to get them at the last culvert before the old MNR camp on Peshu Lake. I think this is where Peshu runs into Aubrey. Water levels change but we used chest waders and regular landing nets. I can't remember the exact time of year but it was cold and late at night. They also use to get them out of boats along the shore lines.

smelt net is the best...its light and small holes. Go after dark with a large spotlight. Early November is the best, when its cold, a bit of ice around and when you pull your net up,it freezes. Thats the best time.

Dont forget to get your permit from the mnr first. Its free.

Edited by anders

I am not familiar with any netting access in Ontario, other than commercial operations. Could this simply be a troll?

I did experience netting whitefish in Alberta, with a $5 permit that allowed a person to net fish in prairie drainage canals (I went by McGregor Reservoir). This was neat to do, and semi made sence given that any fish left in the fall would die with the dropping canal waters. We used a large landing net, but the local farmers used some larger nets, sometimes apparently running afoul with the authorities.

I did not enjoy the way they tasted, but some do like them smoked.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61