trailer problem

babaganoush

had some free time today so decided to grease the bearings on the trailer. I had just bought this trailer used back in the spring and the trailer was sitting in the previous owners backyard for a couple of years unused so needless to say the nuts were rusted. Its a 5 bolt pattern and the right side went flawless. Nuts were badly rusted but came off with a bit of effort. Now the left side is another story, first 4 nuts took a stomp on the tire iron to get the nuts moving but the last nut would not budge until i stomped on the tire iron as hard as i could and got it to move. Unfortunately not only was the nut turning but the threaded rod did as well that's connected to the hub. I have tried to grab the rod from in behind the hub with vice grips but to no avail.

Is there anything i could do at this point to not only remove the nut so i can remove my tire but fix the threaded rod from rotating or am i stuck replacing the whole axle????

PLEASE HELP

You should never use excessive force to remove nuts from wheels use a good penetrant such as PB blaster first to attack the rust. The studs are pressed onto the hub and you have damaged the splines either on the stud or the hub itself. Take the wheel- hub assembly off as a unit by ubbolting the bearing, drill and punch the stud out from the back. If you did strip the splines inside the hub hole you need to replace the hub and I would recommend you replace any studs in poor shape as well.

I have done this many times!!,,,if you don't have the experience take it to your local mechanic,,but get yourself a stud and nut first,,,if the new stud does not press in with any force you will have to do one of two things,,,replace the hub or have it tack-welded with a mig,,,this is an acceptable repair due to the fact that you won't have to eccessivly heat the hub!

You've gotten good advice from everyone but I think that if it was me, I'd buy new hub assemblies and bearings. If the the trailer has been sitting idle as you say, and you're going to be doing any trailering at all, I'd play it safe and change the hubs and bearings. They're not expensive and the peace of mind on the highway will be worth it.

I'm fixin' to mount my spare on a hub assembly as well. It might sound extreme but, that's what I'd do.